Sunday, April 11, 2010

Wooden gate screens


I LOVE old gates.



And I've had these privacy screens as my window treatments for my large picture window forever.


I much prefer them in our home over curtains due to pet hair, however I always had visions of making them look like old gates.


Working from this inspiration just down the road, I liked the curvy top and came up with a plan.


This wood fit perfect! The slats are 3.25" wide and the boards are very thin, which was important so the framework remained as lightweight as possible.
Using an air nailer, I attached the tongue and groove pine boards direct to the screens. What a treat to use brand new wood for a change, but cha ching! $15 a panel x 6 = $90. Youch when you're use to spending nothing! I suppose I'm worth it once in awhile. :)

A special thanks again  to Manual Replacement Guy Dan for teaching me how to use the nail gun in a red hot jiffy. :)
Using vehicle pin-striping tape, I created a curve along the top.  I then followed along with a pencil line and cut through the boards with a jigsaw, then sanded the edges with a palm sander.


I laid the fancy trim boards on top and penciled in my cut marks, then cut them on the compound miter saw. The air nailer again was used to attach the boards. I didn't bother to fill the holes from the nails as the more dents the merrier. :)



I jumped for joy when I got to this point! It was working! Yes, I do doubt my projects all the from time to time. And just so you don't think I get by without issues, my first trial had these things too tall to stand up in the room so I had to shorten the curvy top. :)



Authentic gate hardware was added. I found hinges for half price in white, so black they became in a flash. I aged the works by the high tech method of dragging the pieces over the cement driveway. :)


The screens then received a bonding primer, semi gloss white latex paint, then a glaze. The glaze was simply made with water and a deeper colour latex paint. It isn't the right way, but I was in a hurry and it works in a pinch. Brush on, wipe off with a damp rag, leaving darkness under cross beams etc where natural shadows would occur.  


A rusty old lantern was mounted on the inside of the gate handle for a little extra rustic outdoor charm.

And here's the finished result!


Welcome to my cottage style old gate window screens!



Light and bright, and casually charming that would suit most any decor.



The two gates resemble one large entry gate, appearing as if it was simply carried it into the house and propped in place. They provide lots of impact, but in a texture kind of way, as the white just adds brightness to the room. The curvy tops add some architectural interest to an otherwise very square window frame.


Here's the closed version. We rarely close them anyway, however if we wish for extra privacy or block out sunlight when watching a movie, the option is there. Felt liners run along the bottom of the screens for easy shifting.

I love the end result and am ecstatic to finally have my old gates. :) 



April 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment