Monday, April 19, 2010

The Slipcover Project - A Tedious Job Eased By Good Conversation!

I now understand why the Nester had friends over while she tackled making a slipcover for her chair. What a tedious job! Luckily I also had company as I began working on my slipcovers for the two green chairs. Isabella was home from school with a cold...I think she really just wanted some Mommy time. To spend the day with her down the hall from the Big Boy's Bedroom to her bedroom the chairs moved. What a bright and cheerful room to work in! She rested in bed, reading and chatting with me for nearly the entire day while I slowing moved through the first steps of this project.

Before the move, the skirts were removed.


The chairs instantly looked updated. What great lines these chairs have! Someday I will spend some real money to get them professionally tuned up and reupholstered, and it will be worth it. But for now I'm going to see what I can accomplish.


With Pink and Polka Dot's tutorial as a guide I began. Okay, one of the hardest parts of this project is that I have not one but two chairs! I soon found the satisfaction felt after finishing a step was diminished by the fact it had to be repeated. Thankfully I had some good conversation to distract me.


Not far into the day I realized that I am not a slipcover kind of girl. A tailored look is more to my liking...great!


And so, inspired by how nicely the backs were shaping up, I decided to start viewing this project as more of a hybrid between a making a slipcover and having the chairs reupholstered.






The front, seat and arms proved to be more challenging with all their curves...how long is this going to take?



And that is as far as I got. Saturday morning I finished draping the second chair and sewed the seams together while coming up with some ideas for the new approach to this project. Look for part two tomorrow. Until then, here is a photo of my brother and I seated next to the chairs during the Holidays at the Grandparent's house, longer ago than I will confess to!

No comments:

Post a Comment