Monday, April 26, 2010

The (Hybrid) Slipcover Project - Part 3 of ?

This is where I last left the slipcover project. The chairs are still sitting in Isabella's room, but they need to be moved back to the Big Boy's Bedroom, stat. Isabella is starting to think these are an addition to her room. Also, I need to see them in the room that they are intended for, to ensure decisions for the chairs are made with that room in mind!


This project has evolved into a hybrid between making slipcovers and having the chairs reupholstered. Only a few minutes into draping the fabric on the chairs I realized I wanted a more tailored look than slipcovers would provide, so shifted my approach.


This past Saturday I found a two hour block of time to resume working on the chairs. Okay, move fast girl! First the fabric was pulled underneath the chairs and attached around the sides and backs.


Then the same was done along the chair fronts.


Next were the corners. Once I approached finishing them in a way similar to how I would wrap a present it became clear what to do...how about that?! I can only hope any real upholsterers are not reading.




After the fabric was attached along the bottom of the chairs it was time for the fun stuff, adding ribbon and nail head trim.






The remaining pieces of the puzzle are to sort out how to finish the arm fronts and how to cover the seat cushions. Once those steps are complete I can decide whether or not to add additional trim detailing. Progress is being made and next...the chairs are making their way back down the hall to Max's room!

No comments:

Post a Comment