Tuesday, April 6, 2010

49 Happy Birthday reasons to build




Today was my 49th birthday.

The festivities actually started on Monday. My son and I took in  the Old Spaghetti Factory and enjoyed our favorites. Man, their coffee is gooood! And I let the crew sing to me because my boy thought it was mandatory. They lit up my spumoni ice-cream and the chanting began.

On the way home on Monday, we stopped in at the lumber store for my weekend project gear. Glaring at the new load in the back of the truck, my 10 yr old son had a frank discussion with me.

"Mom, don't work on your birthday. I want you to have fun!"

(I think I let out a wimper...)

"Mom, building stuff is fun for you isn't it?"

"Yes it is!" (probably with more enthusiasm than intended)

"Ok then. Just work on it when I'm in school and then it's your birthday, ok?"

Honestly? I had no idea what I was doing for my bday at the time. My days are family regulated right now so that comes first. My dear sister had things well under control today, so as I hung up my truck keys, I head for the garage.

I had precisely 4.5 hours to figure out how to use an air tool I'd never run before, plus build AND paint my So You Think project with only a visual in my head.


"Tools... the new grown up goodie bag for special occasions!"

Tick tick tick tick...

Step one: PANIC.



Say what?!? Tic tic tic... Who has time to read!


So I called DAN 911 instead. He showed me in 2 seconds how to use the nail gun. Those manual people have it ALL WRONG. You need this guy! And then I got to work. Thanks Dan! :)


And then the food started to arrive. My neighbor Janette sent over some homemade cranberry peach muffins and a bouquet of flowers!  Weeeeee!

Dan the man came back with a piece of center cut prized blueberry platz from the local deli. Pure gold those center cuts are!


And then Corinne brought over homemade chocolate cupcakes. Dear Corinne, you made it ok to not slave for hours in the kitchen baking a cake today. For I had building to do! So thank-you!

I didn't quite meet my curfew though. The build was complete within schedule, however who ever stops at bare wood?!? No, I worked overtime.

I made up for it with a favorite pizza ordered from down the street. And you might say I was a tad occupied mind wise as this is how that drive went.

"Mom, you passed it."

"Huh??? Oh, silly me! I'll just turn around at the church. La la laaaa."

"Mom, you passed it AGAIN!"

"What?!? Oh. Heh."

The reason? For the next few days, things will really be hopping for me in my personal life. And I'm not entirely sure my project will come to complete fruitation in time. But I will continue to try.

Know what I got for my birthday?

homemade food
a load of wood
a day to play
I learned how to use a nail gun
visits from neighbors and friends
a phone call from a dear friend
smiling that this 49 yr old is still learning new building tricks daily

I had a GREAT day. :)

In case I'm not back here before then, SNS will run as regularly scheduled. See you Friday night! The SNS apron winner will be announced then too!

No comments:

Post a Comment