Tuesday, April 20, 2010

The (Hybrid) Slipcover Project - Part 2 of ?


After a long session of draping and pinning last Friday, I was impatient to move this project forward as quickly as possible on Saturday morning. As a result I ignored Pink and Polka Dot's directions to baste the pinned seams, with the exception of the tuck shown above. Instead I simply started sewing, removing the pins as I went along. I'd still be basting if I hadn't.


The sewing was finished quickly. Then the seams were trimmed and pressed open, followed by the covers being slipped back over the chairs.


The seat cushions, which have yet to be recovered, were put back on the chairs so I could see how the the covers fit so far. As you can see I did not pin or sew the fronts of the arms. The draping was done with the wrong side of the fabric facing outwards and I couldn't get a sense of how I wanted the arms to look with this method. I have now figured out what to do...I think.


By far my favorite part of the chairs are the backs. Too bad they won't show after being placed in the bedroom.


Having decided to add interest with trim I let the grays and yellows in the room guide my choices. I came away from JoAnn Fabrics with gray ribbon in two widths as well as muted gold nail head trim. The chair covers will not technically end up being slipcovers, which can be removed. The current plan is to pull the fabric underneath the chair, attach and create an accent around the bottom line of the chairs and add trim along some of the seams.



The fun potential this trim brings to the project has energized me to resume working on the chairs! With a busy work schedule throughout the week, however, I may not get any time until next weekend. But when progress is made I'll be certain to post about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment