Thursday, April 15, 2010

Big Boy's Bedroom - A Slipcover Project

I once read a comment on Young House Love asking how they stayed motivated to get projects completed. I couldn't help but add my own comment, responding "Start a blog, tell people what you are going to do and trust me, you will be motivated to complete projects!"

If ever this was true for me, it is now. The slipcover project for the green chairs in the Big Boy's Bedroom has me feeling like I am going out on a limb. It probably would not have occurred to me to even attempt it, except for seeing the How To Make Slipcovers post at Nesting Place, which lead me to Pink and Polka Dots tutorial.


When I saw this picture on the Nester's post I realized covering a chair could be very similar to draping a garment on a dress form, and I once knew how to do that very well. So...let's see what happens.

First task, find the fabric. With my search for a slipcover fabric coming up short at Ikea I headed to JoAnn Fabrics. With a 50% off sale currently in progress I hoped to find something worth bringing home.


This striped shirting fabric caught my eye, but I wanted more color.


The yellow colorway looked good, but upon handling the fabric I decided the shirting fabric was too thin.


This yellow-green corduroy was tempting, but not only was there not enough yardage but I knew working with corduroy would only make the job a lot harder.


I finally found this warm yellow twill which is soft but feels strong enough to handle washings and the wear and tear of a boy's room.


The color works great in the room, but will the result be a chair that is a little boring? I've decided to get started on the project while I think of a way to add some detail to give the slipcovers more interest.

What comes to mind is the chair pictured below, which I just saw on the latest Sarah's House series, the Farmhouse. The mix of fabrics Sarah used to reupholster this chair gives me the idea to add a trim or an additional fabric to my project.


Hopefully with all this help and inspiration something good will happen!

No comments:

Post a Comment