Thursday, April 15, 2010

Frugal Friday~

Welcome to this week's edition of the Frugal Friday Linky Party!

This week I wanted to share with you some Ballard Designs-inspired pinboards. Now before you all go trying to find them in the Ballard's catalog, I have a little disclaimer to make. I saw the photo in the catalog...assumed they were pinboards...figured out how I was going to knock them off...made them...photographed them...got ready to do this post...went online to find a photo of them from the Ballard's catalog...and found out they are really magnetic boards. ahem. That's what I get for assuming. But never fear! The same process I used to make the pinboards can be applied to magnet boards, AND I plan to make one just to prove it to y'all! (Post to come...ahem.)
So here are the magnet boards from Ballards.
And here is my pinboard version. (never mind the wrinkled burlap...it has since smoothed itself out.) Look's pretty good, if I do say so myself.

Because I like to do things on the cheap (this IS Frugal Friday after all) I went and bought me a 3-pack of cheap-o 11x14 canvases from Wally-world.

Then to make the holes for the ribbon, I used a skinny phillips head screwdriver (I couldn't find our awl) and banged the holes into the board with a hammer. It worked like a charm.

Then I cut some burlap I already had on hand to about 1" larger (all the way around) than the canvases and hot glued the edges to the back...making nice hospital corners. I spared you all a picture of this step, because I know you have good imaginations.

Because burlap has a loose weave, it was simple to poke holes in the burlap where my existing holes were in the canvas. After that, I strung the satin ribbon through and tied it in a knot. Easy peasy.

I originally intended to make 3 boards, but the funny little space in my kitchen was really only big enough for 2. I love how they look!! And the cost? $6 for the canvas. Everything else I already had on hand. (Ballard price for a 12x17 magnet board? $39) Oh yeah.


Now, my dear readers, let's see what you all have up your sleeves this week!!

You know "da rules".

1. Please link directly to your post not just to your blog.
2. Please link back to The Shabby Nest so others can enjoy the Frugal goodness.
3. Comment, comment, comment! Show our participants "the love"!

Enjoy!!






No comments:

Post a Comment