Friday, April 30, 2010

When One Door Closes...Another Opens


This fabulous Comet Pendant was selected to hang in my future design studio. If you've been reading this blog for any time the Mystery Design Project posts have shown clues for this project. I can now share that I have been working for the past few months on securing a space in the developing City Center of the community I live in, Villebois. However, with the current economic environment and so many factors that would only bore you to read, this dream is on hold. For now. I can be patient when required, and I look forward to making this dream come to life in the not too distant future.

Interestingly, the day I found out I would not be moving forward with the design studio I secured my first small writing contract from a very popular resource for design inspiration! So, how bad can life be? Once this writing project is published I'll let you know where to find it. Working on this assignment has been a complete blast, and hey, if anyone else would like to hire me for similar work...give me a call!!


Of course all of this leads to the question, where to hang the Comet Pendant until I open the studio. Do I put it back in the box? Let it continue to hang from the fixture above the piano, getting confused looks from guests? Or do I find another home for it.


Taking a tour around my home, the only place it made sense to hang the fixture was in this small hall off the family room. I like it here for a few reasons. This is a completely bland and forgotten little corner in the house. Also, I have been wanting to bring more color and a bit of whimsy into the adjacent family room and kitchen, and this is a good start.


To hang this fixture I used a Recessed Fixture Converter. I love this product! It allows you to quickly and inexpensively hang a light fixture where a recessed light is located.


As the recessed light hole is larger than the caps on most hanging fixtures a ceiling medallion is also needed. This would not be an issue if you were to hang a ceiling mount fixture.


To bring color into the hallway I decided to paint the medallion turquoise, a color similar to the fabric covering the slipper chair in the family room. (If you think this is a bad idea, read on.)


Next the recessed fixture was removed and replaced with a junction box using the conversion kit.


The medallion was then taped into place so that it wouldn't get in the way while the light fixture was installed.


After the pendant was hung I quickly inserted one bulb and ran out to flip the breaker switch in the garage, wondering...does the light work?!

Yes! And can you believe these outrageous shadows?


Then the rest of the bulbs were inserted. This took nearly as long as hanging the fixture!


Just one problem, the turquoise medallion. It was not working for me, at all. Just too much going on, creating a distraction.


So I pulled out the ladder, again, and repainted the medallion with a color to match the ceiling.


Much much better.


I love it hanging here...a wonderful inspiration for other little updates to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment