Thursday, April 1, 2010

An Ikea Challenge

I am so happy with the items I found the other day at Ikea that I've decided to give myself a challenge for this room. What is it? Finish the room using only items from Ikea with the goal of creating a high end look. Sounds like to good challenge to me, what do you think?

The first task, assembling the desk. It took a total of one hour and twenty minutes to complete the job. It could have taken less time, but unfortunately I had to backtrack twice to turn around one board I had assembled backwards and another upside down. Grrrr...


The desk feels sturdy, fits the space between the beds perfectly and while I know it is going to get plenty of dings once Max starts using it, I'm okay with that. The wear will just add a bit of patina.



The drapery panels, with their yellow and gray stripes, look great with the pale golden wall color and chalkboard stripe. The pillows add another graphic punch.


The only choice from my Ikea shopping trip that didn't work were the green throws. The green was too bright against the more muted green chairs at the foot of the beds. I still think the room needs a touch of this color, just need to find the right shade and item.


What I do see is that the room is calling out for a splash of yellow. A pair of yellow pillows, a yellow patterned fabric to replace the red stripe on the lamp shades or perhaps a yellow ottoman to be placed under the desk.




So, I'm excited to get back to Ikea to find the remaining items for the room and see if I can make it all work. In the meantime, I think it might be time to complete painting various sections of the globe on the remaining walls. Regardless, I'll have additional progress to show you soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment