Monday, April 12, 2010

Ikea Challenge - Can A $4.99 Light Fixture Look Designer?


The challenge to pull together the Big Boy's Bedroom using Ikea resources was coming along nicely...until it came to finding a light fixture. Nothing was standing out as a strong contender, leaving me to believe I'd need to look elsewhere. Then on my final trip to Ikea for this project I saw the Melodi Pendant Lamp on sale for a mere $4.99. The size and shape brought to mind the abundance of industrial inspired fixtures showing up in designs lately, while the price tag forced me to stop and ponder whether or not it had any potential. Certainly for this price I could figure out something!


On the drive home it came to me. Paint, maybe even chalkboard paint. Good thing I had purchased one.


Using Frog Tape I measured off the bottom portion of the shade and painted it with primer followed by chalkboard paint.


While the paint dried I took down the old fixture and installed the new one. Knowing a few electrical basics has saved me a bundle over the years, thanks Dad! Changing a light fixture can be one of the most effective things you can do to update the look of a room, after paint.


Back to the shade...it looked good, but the white was too stark for the room. Suddenly the job became a little more involved as I decided to paint the top portion, as well as the interior of the shade. I used Sherwin-Williams Macadamia, the color of the walls in the room.




Much better. Then on to the steps that have become very familiar, rubbing chalk onto the dried chalkboard paint. I did this not only because I actually planned to write on the fixture, but I love the look of chalkboard paint after it is covered with chalk, such a wonderfully textured surface.




With maps painted on the bedroom walls it seemed appropriate to write E X P L O R E on the fixture. At this point I got offers of help, "Can I write on it?"


The word also inspired Max to do some writing and drawing himself.


Here is a peek of the fixture hanging in the room. I love it. A friend stopped by the house Sunday and asked to see the room in person, having read about it on this blog. When she saw the fixture she asked, "Is that from Ikea?! I recognize the shape...Wow."


Come back to see the "reveal" tomorrow, I'll be very curious to hear what you think...

No comments:

Post a Comment