Thursday, September 30, 2010

Frugal Friday~

Today I wanted to share with you my frugal fall tablescape.


I have this small buffet in my dining area. It is the perfect size to fit in what might otherwise be an awkward spot. I love the buffet...but I just couldn't get it accessorized the way I wanted. I thought that perhaps if I painted it a different color it might fix the problem. And that was my plan until I came up with a new arrangement for fall...

BEFORE








AFTER



Yeah, there's still a lot of black, but there is more height, more texture, more color. Let me break it down for you.

(Sorry for the blurry photo...I was taking these in low light...) The first thing I knew I had to do was replace the lamp. I liked the "skeleton" shade on the old lamp, but the hubby? not so much. Plus, I felt like the lamp was the key to bringing in color. So after searching for a while, I found this gold beauty at TJ Maxx for a steal! It was rather short, however, so I made it a little taller by placing it on a book. I didn't like the cover of the book AND I wanted to bring in more white, so I just turned it around to face the pages out. Mr. Two thinks the lamp is especially fitting for fall, because, as he pointed out, "it looks like a pumpkin."
I repeated the gold color on the other side of the tablescape with a plate I already had that just happens to be the exact color of the pumpkin lamp...call it serendipity.


I wanted to add a piece of art, but I just didn't have the right thing...so I framed a piece of my favorite black damask fabric. The perfect touch.


Finally, I added the terrarium that my mother gifted me with a sweet stone bird's nest underneath. Love the rusty patina. So fall-ish.
Aside from the lamp (which as I mentioned was a total steal) I didn't purchase a single new thing for my fall tablescape! And, I like it enough that I've talked myself out of painting the buffet...at least for now.
Now it's your turn...
You know "da rules"
1. Please link directly to your post not just to your blog.
2. Please link back to the Shabby Nest so that others can enjoy the frugal goodness.
3. Please comment on the links you visit so that our partipants can feel the love!
Finally, I reserve the right to remove links that are not appropriate to the Frugal Friday theme...ie links to posts about your business, your giveaway, or other posts unrelated to frugal projects or frugal finds.
Have fun!


No comments:

Post a Comment