Monday, September 13, 2010

Improving your blog - 10 ways to build a blog growing post


Ever ponder why some of your blog posts are very popular and why others aren't?

I've had my fair share of flop posts. And honestly, I still get shocked to see some go nutty while others go back to sleep. It's a hit and miss game at times.

I also get asked quite often, 

"How do I encourage visits? 
How do I get my blog to grow?"
"How do I get more comments?"

I believe the main answer to that one is:

~ the content you're delivering ~

and  

~ how you're delivering it ~
  
Let's turn the tables and think about our readers this round.


~ 10 ways to build a blog growing post ~

 
 
 1. Are you writing for the reader or writer?

While you may be VERY excited to show the masses a simple show and tell on what today's weather is, your readers may not be interested. And you may even argue, "But it's MY blog."

disclaimer: if this is your niche, that's a diff story!! 

While it most certainly is your blog, define who you're writing your post for. Are you simply journaling your day or writing for the benefit of others passing through?

I like abit of off topic with on so I can get to know you better, but.. easy does it. Want your blog to grow? Give them MORE of the content they've come to know you for.
 

 2. Show only your BEST photos

(ahem... disclaimer on the photo of me above. Hard to take good shots of ourselves)

For every one photo I show, I take at least 10. Digital is cheap! So steady that camera, get in lots of diffused light, turn off your flash, change up positions, and click lots. Trust me. It's worth it.

Need blog photo tips? My workshop is yet to be complete, however here it is to date:


~ Blog Photography with a Point and Shoot ~






 3. Teach something

I'm banking there's one main reason you frequent a blog. You want to LEARN something to have made your reading time worth your while.

Personally, that's my #1 mantra when I read AND post. To simply read for the fun of it is fun too on occasion. But I tend to click on your blog AGAIN and even comment if you've taught me something I can use.

 You may get away with the show and tell style.  But be aware... you are training your readers on what to expect. Look AND learn is the safer bet with a DIY niche crowd.



4. Offer unique content

Painting something white and then covering it with burlap has been done. Let's see some fresh new content that we haven't seen from you! Better yet, create your OWN style we haven't EVER seen before. Ask me how I know. :)


5. Balancing photos vs text

Bloggers are generally scanners first. If they like what they see, they'll slow down and read.

BUT, don't get carried away!

- throw away all words that are not imperative
- use point form and paragraphs like this to loosen things up
- and... make sure you write enough. Avoid making us guess what your photo is about.


6. Clear titles

Vague titles are clever, however I generally want to know what I'm about to read. And did you also know,  Google picks up your title and the first paragraph of your post?

This isn't to say you can't have fun with your titles! "Crazy Day!" vs. "My Crazy Amazing Junkin' Day!"

Vague titles work if you know the blogger's style well, but admit it.. you probably overlook vague titles on random blogrolls yourself. Many of my titles have brought new followers in because of the subject content.


 7. Invite interaction

Are you supplying a quick read, or inviting your friends to participate?

Asking a question at the bottom of your posts encourages comments. Link parties create reasons to visit. We all want to do something and be heard. Ask, invite, join in, and you shall receive!




8. Get involved with your readers

We ALL want to be acknowledged.

But I am first to admit, I can't personally reply to all comments I get. So I address alot of conversation in comments.

If you prefer to email each comment you get, wonderful! But there WILL be a day when you can't keep up with that high standard unless you stop working, cooking, cleaning and sleeping.

I suggest to answer questions in comments so other readers can benefit from the question. And email the question giver as well of course.

I also suggest to fire up a Facebook account for general conversation. It's so easy to address questions there and you'll be sure everyone will get it!

How to get them there?



Funky Junk Interiors

Promote Your Page Too


Join me! I'm very chatty. :)  

See? Easy!

(for the record, I posted this when I had 988 Facebook fans. Let's see if it worked)


9. Add your own unique personality

Try typing exactly like you talk. Unless you're a bad talker of course. :)

I realize not everyone is a writer. But attempting a little expression in your writing will have type sounding less... flat.

ie:

*ouch 10/5*    "HOOOO EEEEE!!!!! GIDDY!!!! And lemme tell you WHYWHYWHY!!!!!

*pass 5/5*        HEE! Fun day! Know why?

*sob -5/5*        I'm happy today. Let us begin.

See what I mean? Now which one Kolein above is saying is the REAL question... xo



And above all else...

10. Write about what you LOVE.

Passion comes through when you write about what you love. Plus you'll attract an audience for it.  It's a win-win situation if you stay true to you!

What do you think makes or breaks a blog post? 
Got any other good post kinda tips to share?

Like blog improving tips?
Click HERE for more.

No comments:

Post a Comment