Thursday, June 18, 2009

My 6 Second Appearance On HGTV

One day last summer, while I was at our new home during the house inspection, I received an email from HGTV asking if I would like to participate in an episode of Rate My Space. The family room in our (just sold) house had a fireplace HGTV wanted to feature as the inspiration for the fireplace redesign in a RMS makeover.

My first reaction was disappointment at missing such a fun opportunity. The next thought was hey, why not respond saying sure...if they could show up within the next 13 days. (We were renting back from the new owners for two weeks while we waited for our new home to close). I heard back immediately. The focal point in the bedroom makeover was the fireplace and the owners were really hoping to use our fireplace as its inspiration. So yes, they could arrange to be at our home to tape on the last day we were in the home. Nothing like cutting it close.

As soon as I got home from the inspection I was in the garage opening boxes, searching for the family room accessories that had already been packed. Luckily I had labeled each box I'd packed and the space was back to its original state within an hour. Meanwhile, the rooms around the family room continued to be dismantled!

And so, on the day the papers were filed for our new home, Kat from the production company arrived to get the room on tape. I think we laughed more than we filmed. The highlight was talking with Angelo, as well as Noah and Shelly while their fireplace was undergoing its transformation. (It would have been even better to be on site working on the room...but you take what you can get). Six hours later, Kat packed up her equipment, I packed up the family room and then drove off to pick up the keys to our new house. That night we moved lamps, artwork and other items I hadn't bothered to pack for the movers...with just a three mile move. I don't think I could have crammed much more into that day, but I'd do it again in a moment. The HGTV part that is, not the move part!

In case any of you see the episode (#209, "Enlivening a Tired Bedroom With Contemporary Rustic Design") airing again this Friday on HGTV at 2:30 p.m. pacific time, note my disclaimer! On top of everything else that was going on that day I was also quite sick! I'd been fighting a summer cold turned flu for a couple weeks. As a result my voice sounds like it is coming through a tunnel...sounds very strange, at least to me!

Next time, look for details on how to enter my first Give Away!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment