Saturday, June 13, 2009

The front entry - Part 2 - Horse gate for coats


I wanted to finish my entry with a slightly unusual twist. I knew I needed coat hooks and a bench at the very least. So I waited until I found just the right 'stuff.' The room simply developed around what I found.

Part One is here. Welcome to Part Two! But I'll do abit of recap anyway with the finds.



So, I scooped up an old horse gate for free from someone's burn pile. Complete with authentic horse bites.


And then found this ugly $15 bench that was prefabbed to go inside a truck.


Put together, this little area creates a unique and productive front entry! Loads of hooks for coats and even more room to stash those shoes.


The hooks you see above are new, but they have an old wrought iron look to them. I fell in love with them instantly but had to buy boards they were already attached to. But no worries, buying hooks that way was unbelievably cheaper than purchasing them separate. Hooks were found at Rona in Canada. Home Depot carried them separately but were out of stock.


The galvanized buckets are ready for quick drop offs or pick ups to and from the vehicle. The cute white pillow is from a local thrift just yesterday.



Another dumping ground for bigger stuff. Right now this little box holds my cordless drill, bank misc., a hockey ball, a bag of screws... just general clutter that gathers at the front door in my house. The LADY tag is an old original cow sign from my parent's farm.


Neglected little $5 dresser that was once used in a barn...


... recieved a fresh coat of white paint...


... along with a little distressing. However it didn't stay like this for long.



Update: Oct 2009 - this is how the dresser looks now. :) A thin coat of glaze and some jewellry (random house numbers) morph a plain dresser into a room feature!



The layered platters make a wonderful key drop area.


How about a little art in the room? This wreath wrapped in ivy is being held onto a door with a plate hanger.

I smile when I look at these. My buddy Vic yanked these window frames off an old barn and knew I'd figure out something to do with them. He was so right! I adore the outcome. Inside the frames are CNC routered samples I've painted up.



Before.



After.

Part 3 - tile floor HERE.

The room is now light and airy, and ultra productive!

A few more finishing touches are in the works like the (eeep!) tile floor I need to finish, some new lighting and possibly some sheers to cover the two little windows on either side of the door, because one of the windows is cracked. I'll no doubt eventually find something that will work perfectly one day.

What do you have at your front entry? Are you a closet gal or are you a hook fanatic like me?
_______________________

~ this post is shared with ~

Pretty Organized Palace is having a 'dresser party!' You must go check this out! They make my dresser look like a big yawnfest. :)

Join Kimm at Reinvented for her Trash to Treasure Tuesday June 16 2009 edition. Check out what beauty others are creating out of... I can't say the T word. No way.

Kimba at A Soft Place To Land is having a DIY July 22 party! With a fabulous postage stamp pillow prize! I LOVE that pillow! Oh please oh please oh please...


No comments:

Post a Comment