Thursday, June 25, 2009

Character Outbuilding - Part 3


Who wouldn't love an old weathered little gate up against old weathered wood? The gate will soon serve a purpose as well. Hurry up sunshine, I need you here!


This long box was not originally a planter box. It was a means of shipping firetruck parts into our country. Really. I stripe and letter firetrucks for a living so when I saw this shipping box in their burn pile, (after screaming and stamping my feet in total glee!) I got someone to help me shove it in the back of my truck. FAST like. And I put it right to work. I'm such a garbagemaniac.




It's been waaaay too long since I've done some real work on my character outbuilding. I'm still on the lookout to collect wood I need to complete it. However, I painted out the trim to match up to this planter box. It adds just the right amount of brightness to the little building, yet still has rustic appeal. And that is Jenna, my ever present shadow in the form of a dog. Where I go, she goes. Easy to please, ohhhhh yeah.

And this is what I want the gate to do one day. Hold up some gorgeous sweet pea flowers in full force bloom! I have sun on order. Hopefully before they get flooded out...


I just love this little bent up weathered gate! I scooped it from the dump while a guy was throwing it onto the pile. It went from his trailer right into the back of my truck. Gotta be quick while the going's good!
My intent for a garden around the character building has morphed. I had big intentions of cutting out a nice curvy bed to hug the building and add a ton of full bloom full grown perennials of course. (right..) But as luck would have it, my back and bank account spoke to me and requested to stick with the free planter box and free soil from the garden idea for this year. Ok, ok...

Some good news! I reclaimed some old shake shingles! I can either tinker with them on the building, or... I have a bazillion different ideas for them. Hopefully this summer (soon) I'll get busy and share what I do with them.

Have you used anything unusual for planter boxes? When I went to pick up these flowers, the nursery had old toilets sprouting full blooms. Hilarious...

FYI...

I'm gettin' there!!
_______________________
Check out Kimm's Reinvented Trash to Treasure Tuesday, July 7 2009 edition to see what others are making out of those 'special finds'!

No comments:

Post a Comment