Monday, June 15, 2009

Girl's Dream Bedroom - Furniture Plan


The dimensions of this bedroom seem okay (10'x16') until you start to bring in furniture and then few arrangements look right. The challenge is increased due to the presence of the queen size bed.

As to why a young girl has such a large bed in her room? There is no guest room in our home. To accommodate visitors I decided to maximize sleeping possibilities in both Isabella's and Max's bedrooms. Max has two twin beds and Isabella has the queen. When friends and family come to visit, Isabella bunks with Max and this room becomes the guest bedroom. A good solution!

And as for the layout, long and narrow rooms are particularly hard to place furniture in. Add in the door, closet and windows and the options narrow even more. I love symmetry in a room and this furniture layout was the best way to achieve it. Additionally, I wanted to add the chandelier. With only 8' ceilings this would only be practical if a piece of furniture was placed below it...that or the adults in the family would have to deal with a bruised head from time to time.

Up next, finding chairs and a desk to complete the layout. Tonight I am going to my first auction in an attempt to buy a pair of slipper chairs, which, if I am successful in my bid, will be refinished and reupholstered. I also have a few ideas for the desk, but one thing at a time!

Finally, did the fabrics in the pictures catch your eye? A set of reversible placemats and a table runner are being made from these happy happy fabrics, for my first ever Give Away ! Perfect for summer entertaining. Keep tuned for more information on when and how to enter!

Wish me luck at the auction!!!!! Janell

No comments:

Post a Comment