Thursday, July 15, 2010

Frugal Friday~

Welcome to this week's edition of Frugal Friday.

Mr. One's favorite animal is a giraffe. He has been infatuated with those amazing animals for as long as I can remember. So when I spotted this...

...at Anthropologie a few months back, I knew I had to have one for Mr. One's Tween room. Ah, but there was a small catch. The price tag. I just couldn't bring myself to pay Anthro's price for the papier mache beauty....but I was sorely tempted....considered it for a long time....even tried to justify it to myself. But in the end I decided I just couldn't do it.


Every once in a while I would think about that little giraffe head, and the temptation, consideration, and justification would begin again. And I was always sad when I talked myself out of it.


But then I received my latest edition of BHG's DIY Magazine. And in it was a tutorial for making a papier mache deer bust...since they are so popular right now.


(AND MY APOLOGIES RIGHT HERE AND NOW FOR THE FACT THAT I COULD NOT FIND THE TUTORIAL ONLINE...nor do I have it scanned in since I don't have a scanner for this computer...I know, bad blogger...)



The supplies needed were fairly simple:


1. A styrofoam sphere - I purchased a 6" sphere for about $3.50 at Wallyworld.


2. A 2-liter soda bottle - had a few left over after Mr. One's birthday party.


3. White glue and water.



4. Tape - I used duct tape since it was all I had on hand.


So first things first, I had to carve the sphere into something resembling a giraffe's head. I use my electric carving knife for just such endeavors since I'm not much of a cook...works like a charm. Now I must tell you all...the circle shape made it nearly impossible to get a long, lean giraffe head like the Anthro version. And my first attempt looked much more like a cow than a giraffe.


Looks kinda creepy, huh? Stick with me though, people.

So I continued carving until I ended up with a nice slim nose...and although it still looked a little more bovine than giraffe...I called it good.


Then I cut the ends off the 2 liter bottle, and cut it up one side. I rolled it to create more of a cone shape and taped it shut with duct tape. I shoved the styrofoam head on top, cut some ears and horns out of cardstock, placed them where they should go and taped the whole concoction together with more duct tape.




Still kinda creepy, I know. (And still kinda of cow-like...I think I slimmed the nose again after I took this photo.)


Then came the fun part....dipping newspaper in the glue-and-water-goop and smoothing it on. Did that twice...letting it dry in between. Then I added spots using a goldish colored kraft paper, let that dry, and drew on eyes.


VOILA!!








My $3.50 version of Anthro's $69 giraffe. I know it's not as elegant as the original. But Mr. One loves it, and it's whimsical and fun, so I'm calling it a success.







I decided not to put it above the workstation like I said in my teaser post on Monday, but I'll show you just where I am placing it next week.



Now it's your turn...


You know "da rules"...


1. Please link directly to your post and not just to your blog.


2. Please link back to The Shabby Nest so that others can enjoy the frugal goodness.


3. Comment, comment, comment. Show our participants the love!





No comments:

Post a Comment