Sunday, July 11, 2010

Dreams, or reality? It's up to you.


Little of what I create is a direct copy from elsewhere. Much of what I happen upon mind wise derives from my own senses. I'm inspired by others, but much of what I love to do is push the project into the 'never been done' realm. A thought just arrives, totally unplanned. I'll look at an object, and have a need to create something out of it that's totally unique.

In most cases, I'll create out of necessity. But at times, I dream of creating just because, but hold myself back because I have no where to put it. (I need to fix that!)

This is simply how my mind works. I shut down life at times and allow my senses to take me where I need to go.

But when I REALLY take the time to close my eyes, and think about what really knocks on my soul, there is one image or dream that keeps coming back, over and over again. And it's identical and in full colour every single time. This dream started.. oh... a few years ago. And replays over like a broken record.



I'm sitting on a shabby front porch, with my hot coffee,  cross legged on a wooden planked floor, with a laptop propped in front of me. I'm writing. And the view in front of me is a serene lakefront. It's quiet, and I can hear the water lap up against the shore.

 Image from HERE

Behind my cabin is my flower garden surrounding my workshop. You walk through an arbor overflowing with climbing roses and you're now in an English garden setting. There are mountains of fragrant flowers in full bloom that are hugging my little shabby studio out back.


The studio has double french doors, that open WIDE so when I'm tinkering on something indoors, it feels like I'm really outside.


And interestingly enough, I live alone. My son comes home to visit, however when he and his family leave, I gather my things and set out once again on the front porch and start to write, telling the world of my weekend adventures. Me n' my passions of nature, creating and writing are like 'this.' (fingers twisted together) And when I've finished my story, I head out back and start pulling some weeds or pick up that perfect old headboard or old palette wood I just found and start creating again.

I suppose when we allow ourselves to dream, we take the time to seek out what we truly love about life and what we gravitate towards. Is it possible to live our dreams, dare to walk in a direction that in our mind today, is totally unheard of?


I know from experience, if I dream something, I can have it if I work towards it. A lakefront cabin strewn with patchwork quilts and a shabby white kitchen may not be in the cards today, but it also won't be there tomorrow if I don't implement small steps to achieve it. Or better yet.. can I make my dream a reality right where I am now?

A country dreamhouse story

I lived in a typical suburb some years ago. Brand new home, and it was beautiful. But my first love was to move to the country. So my then husband and I took occasional Sunday drives through the neighboring farmland just because.

During one drive we spotted a property that took your breath away. It was for sale. And the area was so quiet, it hurt your ears. A bee buzzing by was loud in comparison. Never in my dreams did I ever think I could move into a place such as that. The long winding gravel driveway, framed with a rustic wooden fence, the tallest ancient trees ever, leading to the 2 story 12 year old 1800's style home with a wrap around veranda, on 5 acres surrounded by mountains. Two barns out back. Dream talk.

But we decided to bite the bullet and TRY. We put our house up for sale trying to beat the system of selling first, then buying. It was such a longshot. But... the odds were working in our favor! And.. WE DID IT.

Sadly, that particular dream wasn't meant to be, and the broken promise of forever still makes me ache, however the proof is there. You CAN have what you dream about, but only IF you implement the steps necessary to get there. I have to believe that triumph AND failure story was put before me to show me what is indeed possible and to learn how to better define if something is right.

~ ~ ~ ~

I dream of alot of different things. Among the list is the kind of work I'd like to do, the things I'd like to sell, where I live, and where I travel. Is any of it possible? I believe it is. Just not at the present moment. Because I haven't yet done the ground work in order to achieve it.

So, because all my dreams cannot be implemented today, what CAN I do today to take me away to that place of hope? Do I have to wait for the cabin on the lake, or can I make dreams come true in my own back yard?

~ Make your own dream check list ~


Cabin Dream:

When I close my eyes, I see old chippy doors with antique knobs, beefy lovely moldings, tall ceilings, and weather worn comfortable furnishings.

Possible now?

I can certainly bring some of those elements inside my current home. (and I am!) And I'm looking beyond the accessories. I want the permanent features of my home to simulate the feel. And home character can be accomplished affordably with feature walls.  Possible? Within reason, yes!


Workshop Dream: 

I need a workshop that inspires me and is large enough to morph it into a little weekend store when it's time to sell. Is it a barn or a shed? I have the yard and the view, just not the building.

Possible now?

 A shed kit customized. Possible? Yes!


Outdoor Dream:

 I see weather chipped wooden furniture against the English flowerbeds and a special sitting area where I can enjoy the sunshine and wind against my face.

Possible now? 


Without the lake, yes! (the river IS at the end of my road after all LOL)


An Author or ?

Possible now?

Only if I work at it! Search, and submit is the only way that will happen. Possible? Absolutely!

~ ~ ~ ~

So what's with all this sudden dream talk?


This story moved me. I found this link first on Stories of A to Z. This sweet gal had a dream and created this heavenly getaway ALL BY HERSELF. This little shabby retreat caught me off guard because it so closely resembled the lakefront cabin in my own dreams. The feature story is HERE.


She dared to dream and throwing her passion in the mix, created what her heart desired. And refurbished a woodsy cabin into her own haven with her own two hands.

This story impresses me.

Where does this take us dreamers?

It made me realize how many steps I've already taken towards my own dreamland.  And that's without true effort. Can you imagine what's possible if I actually concentrated on making them a true reality? What about you? Is the same happening to you without you really aware of it?

When we gravitate towards something, we can unknowingly take steps towards it. For example, when my last cell phone died, I knew I had to have an iPhone. Today, I love to check in on the blog in the middle of my workday on my lunch. It just works! And that's just one small example. I have 100 more.

I know I'm being slowly led to a special place, yet here I sit not even knowing what that is most days. But I KNOW without a doubt it has something to do with JUNK. :)

Every day I open myself to watching, listening, learning and doing. And it's my belief that no matter what I learn, it's something I can take with me on my eventual trip to wherever I'm going. The key here, is to move forward, even if at an inch at a time. (right D?) Keep learning, trying, don't be afraid to fail, and keep the faith in yourself. YOU are the reason you are where you are today and YOU are the reason you'll be elsewhere in the future if you wish that to be.

In other words, keep dreaming and following your dream.

I'm going to go grab my coffee again, wrap myself up with a warm patchwork quilt (wait till I show you this quilt!!) and sit outside in front of my gardens and listen to the wind. I have a feeling it'll take me exactly where I need to go. Now, all I have to do is listen.  And follow my heart and implement.
 ~ ~ ~ ~ ~


I'm back. I listened and made a call. A long overdue staging project is going to start up again. Rust isn't the only thing I can do. :) A country home reveal is in your future. :)

I don't pretend to know all the answers, including for my own life. Most days I carry a big ol rustic "?" above my head. But I do know, if I listen to what speaks to me, in the long run, how can you go wrong?

Go ahead. Make your dream list, then see if you're making the right moves to follow your own heart.

What do you dream of?  Are you waiting for that perfect 'cabin on the lake' first? Or are you taking small steps to get there today? 

Go ahead, write it down, no matter how crazy it sounds. That's the first step needed towards making your dreams come true. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment