Thursday, July 29, 2010

Frugal Friday~

Welcome to this week's Frugal Friday! Today I'm sharing with you a project that I originally shared back in February. But a great project bears repeating.

From the moment I laid eyes on them, I longed to have a set of these beautiful smocked curtains.



And I knew then and there that I HAD to come up with a less expensive version of these beauties (i.e. one that didn't cost $108 per panel). And I had a plan.



Then while visiting my parents, my Papa dragged me to the basement to look at some of the things we stored at their house before we moved to Massachusetts. Lo and behold, in the box were a pair of curtains from the Princess' nursery.



I remembered them immediately (why had I stored them away? hello?) and knew they would make the perfect smocked beauties I envisioned.



They were inexpensive PB knockoffs...from Tar-jay I believe. But they were just what I needed. Slightly sheer...and they had the added bonus of having a "grid" woven right in. The plaid pattern saved me having to make measurements which was what I was dreading the most in my "smocking" plan.




Now, I have a disclaimer to make. If anyone reading this blog knows how to smock, please forgive me. I just flew by the seat of my pants.


I figured it would be kind of like creating in fabric, a hairstyle that I have done numerous times on the Princess.


And it was. Sort of. I started out by creating a sort of "M" pleat on every other stripe. Then I simply sewed each pleat through about three times and knotted it off.


I then took each of the "point" pleats of the "M" and seperated them pulling them down and over so that they met at the next horizontal row down, and the next vertical row over, and sewed them together again.


I repeated that process for 6 rows. I'm not gonna lie. It was kind of a pain. The first panel took me an hour and a half. The second only took about an hour because I had it down to "science" by then.


But I ADORE the results. And the cost was FREE!!! Well, I think the panels probably cost $20 for the pair 7 years ago. But...they were free today!


Now, one thing to keep in mind if you try to tackle a project like this on your own is that you are going to lose the width of the panels by half. So mine had to become stationary panels. They look lovely, however, over the Princess' bed with her old sheers under them.


This is a picture of the Princess' room with the smocked curtains before I redid it, but you can see the panels better in this photo.

Here is the Princess' room after it's redo, just so you can see how it looks today. :-)
Now it's your turn...
You know "da rules".
1. Please link directly to your post and not just to your blog.
2. Please link back to The Shabby Nest, so that other's can enjoy the frugal goodness.
3. Comment, comment, comment. Make our participants feel the love!


No comments:

Post a Comment