Wednesday, July 7, 2010

The Big 1-0~

When I asked Mr. One what kind of a birthday party he wanted this year, his reply was immediate...a BBQ and night games. The perfect kind of party for a bunch of boys celebrating one of their own moving into the double digits. That's right folks...Mr. One now has an entire decade under his belt! He was my millenium baby...and now he's ten. When did that happen?

The party had to be one of the easiest I've ever planned...Mr. One wanted to be in charge of deciding exactly what games everyone would play...Keep Away, Capture the Flag, and some sort of battle game whose rules seemed extremely complicated to me.



Playing Keep Away


He also wanted to light sparklers and throw pop-its (you know those little paper things that pop when you throw them at the ground...fun to use...miserable to clean up afterwards.)

All I was in charge of was the food... and the decor of course.

The decor? Well, Mr. One was born on the 6th of July...which is mightly close to the 4th of July. So a red, white, and blue party seemed like the obvious logical choice.

We draped a huge American Flag from the Balcony - Oh so festive!

We discovered (thanks to Mr. Three) that this little bench is a great chalkboard, so I took advantage of the fact to wish Mr. One a Happy Birthday!


It worked as the perfect gift depository.



And what do you feed a bunch of hungry boys? Hot dogs of course! With loads of chips. Soda - those mini-cans are the perfect size for growing boys...




The table was very unfussy...a little burlap for the tablecloth...red, white, and blue baskets and paperware.



Mr. Three sneaking some potato chips before the party starts.

And smores for dessert - that's when the firepit we built this weekend came in handy. (And no, it's not really in the grass...it just looks that way in the photo.)






And just to add a bit to the sugar rush...let's top it all off with cupcakes and icecream. And my disclaimer of the day? With so much family in town lately, I just couldn't bring myself to make cupcakes. So I (dare I say it?) bought them. But they were perfect...in unnaturally bright shades of red, white, and blue...and judging by how fast they disappeared, they must have tasted good.





Finally, I debated about what to give for party favors, but finally decided on these giant bubble wands I found at Wallyworld...I mean hey, they matched my color scheme. I was a bit worried that the boys wouldn't like them. But was I ever wrong. They were a hit!




All in all, a great initiation into the double digits for Mr. One. Happy Birthday to my firstborn! You are a riot!! I'm so glad you're ours!



Frugal Friday goes up at Midnight EST for all you night owls!




Have a great day~

No comments:

Post a Comment