Sunday, July 25, 2010

The Reality of Being Me~


Hi! I’m Wendy Hyde author of The Shabby Nest. Here at my blog I share frugal decorating at its best - I have an eye for pretty and I love to create caviar rooms on a tuna fish budget.

Before I became a blogger, however, I became a mom. But, becoming a mom was a hard-won battle. Once my husband and I decided we were ready to have children, we suffered 4 years of fertility issues. During that difficult time I pouted, ranted, screamed, cried and felt hopeless. Then finally, amazingly, we were able to conceive. And now I’m a mother to four. Four children that I am crazy in love with. With that passionate, irrational love that only a mother can really understand. They are my everything.

After the birth of our youngest, our lives changed forever. He was born with a genetic liver disorder called Alpha-1 Antitrypsin deficiency. Because it is a genetic disease, our doctors urged us to have our other children tested, and we found out that two of our other three children also have the disease. Three out of four. What are the odds? We were devastated and terrified.

Luckily, right now our three boys are essentially healthy and normal so I am able to push their disease to the back of my mind most of the time, and go on with life. But in the quiet moments before I fall asleep or when I first wake, the worry comes. And I hope and pray for them that the researchers working on a cure for Alpha-1 will find it.

Somewhere in all this mothering and this worry, I forgot about myself. I pushed my aspirations to the back. I focused so much on being a mom, that I didn’t focus on me…at all.

I have always been a creative person, so this began to take a toll on me. And I felt guilt about that, until I discovered the world of blogging. It didn’t take me long to realize that writing a blog was the perfect answer to my dilemma. I could put myself out there in the blogosphere while still remaining a devoted mom. And The Shabby Nest was born.

I was amazed and elated when I started receiving comments from people who were actually interested in what I had to say! And as my readership grew, my love for my blog grew as well. I love the fact that I can share my passion for design with like minded individuals all over the world. I love the fact that I can be Wendy – that I have something that is uniquely mine and that it is appreciated by others.

So I will continue to write. I will continue to share my love of design. I will continue to gain a voice. And in so doing I will continue to advocate for my boys and their disease. And hopefully, this will help me do what I can toward finding a cure for Alpha-1.


Posted as a part of Project Mom for MomCasting.

No comments:

Post a Comment