Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Starting With Appreciation...

I'm back from a little vacation to the Oregon coast with my extended family...what a nice break!

And before launching into my next project, I want to express how appreciative I am of the opportunities that have come my way. It is really a privilege to be able to pursue my interest in design while working from home. When I first began my career in interiors I worked for a design firm, commuting to and from the office, while help (thanks Renee!) watched Max during the day and met Isabella at the bus. I'd get home tired, but would try to make up for the time lost during the day. This situation didn't last long. I saw it all moving too quickly and realized I would soon have missed more than I would be able to recapture. So I shifted gears. I began working with a few clients, decorating my home and writing this blog. Amusingly we now refer to our home as 'The Blog House', and there are ongoing discussions and joking about what I should and shouldn't post about!

If you are a working mom I don't need to tell you of the challenges of balancing motherhood with a career. I know how fortunate I am to have found a balance that allows me to be here when the kids get home from school during the winter and to lighten my schedule in summer, so there is plenty of time to hang out with Isabella and Max. And thank you, for reading this blog, which has helped make this possible!


And now it's time for a new project. Here is a sneak peek. It will include using a colored chalkboard paint from Hudson Paint and materials from Home Depot. In preparation for this project I found myself at the back of that store, getting several pieces of wood cut. I've never used this service before, and I have to tell you it has opened up a whole new category of projects to consider for the future. (We are not a household of power tools...yet?) And it's a good thing I hung on to all my old magazines and partially filled paint cans. I've discovered they make good weights!


Also...(I know, this post is all over the place)...I am interested in hearing what type of design projects you would enjoy reading about on this blog. Leave me a comment and share your ideas!

No comments:

Post a Comment