Tuesday, July 20, 2010

What does your 'quiet' say to you?


 How many of us take the time to sit in the quiet?

I recently did just that on Friday. I packed up my tote and head to a local beach resort all by my lonesome. My intent was to get a feel for the local campsites and to see if it 'felt' right. And as much as I enjoyed connecting with old friends and touring around, when I was done with the search, I couldn't wait to reach the beach.


I grabbed one of BC's finest homemade burgers (oh gosh.. it was just the best!)  from the log cabin pub, and head towards my final destination.


There's something magical about sitting in front of water. The warm breezy space felt like a familiar hug wrapping around me.  I've really missed it. The experience was like visiting an old friend again, the kind that you may not see everyday, but the attachment always remains.

For awhile, I gravitated closer to where my truck was parked, which was a more populated area. I enjoyed the sit, watching others do their thing while I secretly enjoyed no one knowing me nor wishing to break into conversation. I simply became a watcher and listener and in my mind, I was invisible to all else. Perfect.


But I knew where I really wanted to head after my burger feast. I picked up just my camera, some loose change, and head to the local beach coffee house. My favorite mocha, topped with whipping cream and drizzled in chocolate was part of this next adventure.


'Quiet Solitude' below won a grand prize package in the Harrision Hot Springs summer photo contest, 2010.



So I head down towards the end of the lake to the boat launch section. Only once I reached the far end where it was quiet and peopleless, did I find the perfect spot to sit. And ponder. I was ready to sit in 'the quiet.'


How to sit in the quiet

1. Find a secluded spot.

For this one, absolutely no distractions is key.  You want a spot that inspires you to feel comfort. For me, it's in front of nature and/or water. And, alone. I also find off my own property best so your mind doesn't wander to all the undone work you're sitting in front of. :)


2. Tune in to nature first.

Now turn off the thoughts and voices, and listen to nature. It's the best soundtrack available. For free. Some call this meditation, however I just call it listening to what God created.


3. Start tuning in to ONE thought.

A little too quiet? That means you're ready. Slowly up the volume and allow a thought to enter. But be prepared for what you may hear. I wasn't. And it made me cry.

Be careful here. You're thoughts will all come dashing in all at once like a crowded party room. Hold that stuff back for now. Just work on one thought so you aren't overwhelmed.


4. Stay put until you work it out.

It's like having a mind conversation of your own. I indeed address what's going on and even ask and answer my own questions. And I'll talk to myself out loud too. That's why I like to be alone when I do this. :) Verbally saying it makes it more... real. Like it's no longer a mere thought.

If you shove this thought to the side because it was too difficult, you aren't ready to leave. Stay put until it's aaallllll worked out. You'll be thankful later. And if you're the spiritual type, this is the perfect time to have that overdue conversation with God. Ask for strength and help to guide you on where you need to go with all this.


(all photos taken in Harrison Hot Springs, BC Canada)

When you've reached the final conclusion, you will know when it's ready to leave or allow another thought in. Your call on what you can handle. For me, one was enough! :) I refocused on nature, did this photo shoot (just wait until I get a REAL camera) and then head for the truck, content that I had worked at least one thing out. And enjoyed every dang moment of it in these beautiful surroundings.

~ ~ ~ ~

Sometimes one is too busy to listen outside of the jack in the box noise, in order to pay attention to what's more important.

Sitting in the quiet offers you a chance to regroup and tweak parts of our life that aren't working. And being that no one's life is perfect, it's my opinion that everyone needs abit of time to sit in their own quiet to see what comes your way.

Try it! All you need is abit of quiet and solitude. And in no time, you'll be having an internal conversation that will no doubt help guide you where you need to go.

~ ~ ~ ~

Do you ever sit in the quiet? What does your quiet say to you?

No comments:

Post a Comment