Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Watch As I Jump Around The House From Room To Room

This summer's list of projects will have me jumping around the house, from room to room! I typically focus on one space at a time, but because of the long and varied list of projects I'll be working on for HGTV.com (writing articles for each) the schedule will be more random. While I hope to continue to make progress on the Master Bedroom Redesign, as other corners of the house are visited...we will have to see.

The next two projects will be in the kitchen. First up, painting the kitchen island! I am so excited. I have been wanting to paint the island for awhile now, to bring in a more customized, lighter look. Also, ever since completing the Kitchen Redesign, these original pendants have been crying out to be changed. They are far from interesting, in my opinion.


Here are some of the paint colors I've been considering for the island. Yes, a lot! The idea of painting the island green was very appealing. However, finding just the right shade of green to work with the cabinets painted SW Softer Tan, the tones of the venetian gold granite, as well as the flooring and wall color has not exactly been a walk in the park.


Using a cabinet door sample I had on hand, the testing of the paint colors began. The first colors sampled were brighter greens and unfortunately they brought out the orange tones in the granite. This was not the result I wanted. In fact, when reworking the kitchen originally, one of the goals was to take emphasis away from the dull orange tones in the granite and bring out its gray and taupe colors. I had to remind myself of this and rethink the paint color for the island. I have often gotten color inspiration by looking closely at the stone or tile in a space, pulling out colors from these surfaces. Looking closely at the granite once again, I saw some of the grays had a green undertone, which provided a clearer direction for the color search.


See all the colors on the sample door? Don't hesitate to test as many colors as needed to find the right option. This has become much easier as paint companies have begun to sell test size samples. While testing various colors, if they don't look right, try to pinpoint the exact reason why and use that as a guide when selecting the next color to test. Also, view the colors being considered in various lighting, both day and night.



The second project has already begun. The island pendants have been replaced with these pendant hardware kits, on which any shade can be hung. These great little kits were found at Shades of Light.


You probably could have predicted that I wouldn't be able to pass up an opportunity to customize the shades to be hung on the pendants. They will be covered in Robert Allen's Cats Cradle geometric print in Amber (brown shown left below). The Papaya colorway was my first choice, but when the fabric was held up to the lit shade the color didn't look right with pink undertones coming through. The more neutral Amber was the second choice. Covered in this fabric the shades will still be really fun, while also providing good lighting.


A screw on the hardware allows any standard lampshade with a washer ring to be hung on this fixture...love it!


And back to the paint color, I finally selected SW7052 Gray Area, a neutral gray with green undertones. (The color shown on the right side of the cabinet door.) In some light it looks green, in others gray. Most importantly it coordinates well with all the other elements in the kitchen and adjoining family room. Work starts later today...and I am getting help. It is summer after all, and while I enjoy my work, I also want to spend a lot of quality time playing outside with the kids while the sun is shining!!

No comments:

Post a Comment