Friday, June 25, 2010

Totaling Up The Costs: The Headboard Wall


So what did it cost to make the headboard wall? A few of you have asked and I'm not above talking money...why is it such a prickly subject?! You'll see that the savings, compared to what a similar headboard would cost at retail, may inspire you to consider taking on such a project yourself. And even better, these costs are for a headboard reaching up to a total height of 95 inches! A normal headboard could be half this height, with nearly half the cost. All costs are rounded up for my convenience, I don't want to go dig out the receipts. But trust me, I have a good memory for numbers.



Fabric: Bocce, from Calico Corners, $210 for 6 yards
Batting: $30 for 6 yards, 90" wide (purchased with 50% off JoAnn coupon)
Two Inch High Density Foam: Four 2'x7' pieces, $130 (also purchased with 50% off JoAnn coupons)
800 Pieces of Nail Head Trim: $35
Plywood, Four 1x4's, Construction Glue & Staples: $60

Grand Total: $465~

Nearly half the cost went to fabric, and here I didn't skimp. If you were to create an average size headboard using one sheet of plywood, and find a deal on fabric, this cost could go down significantly!

Have a wonderful weekend...and as hard as it might be for you to believe, I will not be working on any DIY projects. Instead we will be celebrating my birthday!

No comments:

Post a Comment