Saturday, June 26, 2010

This Week's Ideabook on Houzz: Dressing Rooms & Walk-In Closets

closets contemporary closet

What is it about a dressing room or large walk in closet, all beautifully arranged, that just screams glamour and luxury? It says there is enough space to go around and some of the square footage can be spent on housing the owner's beautiful collection of clothing and accessories.

custom closet traditional closet
Murphy Moon and Carol Abbott
Above Images From Houzz

I love clothing...so much so that I ended up studying fashion design and worked in that industry for many years. During that time, a friend of mine lived in a very large apartment with a Jack & Jill bath off her bedroom leading into another bedroom. But was it used as a bedroom? No! Instead the walls were lined with custom floor to ceiling cabinets and an island placed in the middle of the large room, with endless drawers for accessories and jewelry. And I think what really set this room apart were the two large windows with a window bench placed between them for seating. Add in a couple of full length mirrors placed on the back of the doors to the bath and hall, and this was a slice of paradise. Apparently that space has had a lasting impression on me!

To view some equally outstanding closets and dressing rooms, both classic and creative, read my Houzz Ideabook here. And then, take a look at the closet I share with my husband! This image could not be included in the Ideabook for obvious reasons.


However, I am so inspired by all the photos I selected from Houzz for this piece that I'm beginning to think something can be done with ours. First I need to clear out all the extra lampshades. I must have taken the quote, "bring your own lampshade somewhere there's a party" a bit too literally!

No comments:

Post a Comment