Sunday, June 13, 2010

Decorating the great outdoors with junk for 'Gitter Done!'




Yay! It's finally here!

This is a linked up show off post alongside yours. To get to the main event to link up, please click HERE.


I had no intention on working with this project. But the passion of it got away with me. I mean, lookit the rust! Can you guess what I played with?


My beloved little character building! This use to be a greenhouse, that I filled with firewood. After wrapping the exterior with old fence boards, it became a magnet for other fun things.

The scale of it has always been abit small for the size of the yard. So the addition of two palettes for a front step and boardwalk plus a ladder really increased the scale.


I found the geraniums for a steal at a local thrift of all places, so I went crazy and loaded the old white crate up.


Can't wait to see them established. BUT we aren't done here. I like throwing in some interesting elements to look at. Funky garden art if you will. :)


I chose a dark garnet colour for the geraniums. And in hindsight, as much as I love them, they don't pop colour wise like the brighter reds from a distance. Next year I'll go brighter. But getting these for $12 instead of $50? No comparison!


Here's an unexpected twist. This ladder (thanks Vic!) with dangling chain is to guide the ivy.


"I love you, oh rusty chain!"


And no character building wall is complete without old rusty tools for wall art. I love how they don't pop with colour, but rather offer subtle interest.


And most of you have seen the little boardwalk by now. I also added another palette for the front step that needs some colour tweaking. More blonde like this or grayish I think.


 Let's move on to the birdhouse garden!


I finally got to it and cleaned up this area. It still lacks some colour, but it's a great start!


Bad junk. So let's turn it into good junk. The ladder was from a friend, (thanks Vic!) and the heart shaped basket is from my Mom's garden. They deserved better homes don't you think?


The ladder was slightly cut down in height and is now going to hold up the raspberries as they get spindly tall. The old metal can is just for junkin' fun, however I'd like to punch the bottom out of it, sink it in the soil abit and plant tall sunflowers or cosmos inside. Wouldn't that be cool?


Here's my mom's sweet little heart shaped basket that was in her own garden. I'll be tweaking it with added interest but this works for today. And the birdhouses got picked up off the ground and placed in their rightful homes. Cuteness!


Lastly, this one rates #1 in my book. This thorn in my side tree base of weedy soil finally got some much needed love.  My wonderful neighbours knocked on my door last weekend and asked if I cared to partake in their extra bark mulch. I don't think I've ever jumped in my truck so fast to pick up landscape fabric to 'Gitter Done!' LOVE!! Thanks Jake and Janette!

The moral to this post: 

Working in your garden is exactly like working inside your home. Create vignettes with things you appreciate, move your plants around abit, and sticking to yearly perennials, and you too can have an outdoor space you can fall in love with for very little cash spent.

What elements do you decorate with outdoors? 
Anything unusual?




Visit thecsiproject.com

No comments:

Post a Comment