Thursday, June 24, 2010

The 'Headboard Meets An Upholstered Wall' Project Has Been Put To Bed!

A day later than promised, but here are photos of the headboard...all complete and installed on the wall. Can I share how relieved I am that this project went smoothly?!


This is where I was standing when I got the idea to create a full height headboard, at the bathroom sink looking into the mirror and the reflection of the bedroom behind me. I wanted to see something inspiring and beautiful reflected in the mirror, filling the doorway into the bedroom.


Taking this approach the fabric on the headboard would become a design element in the bathroom, being reflected in the mirror, and it was important the new fabric compliment the Thomas Paul Aviary print seen on the chairs. After considering several options I selected the Bocce geometric print in Cocoa, found at Calico Corners. I thought it would look striking made up on the headboard while also enhancing the bathroom design. I just love this view...the fabric looks like wallpaper!



The frame lays flush against the wall, giving the headboard a custom look. The chinoiserie fabric used on the lampshade looks great adjacent to the geometric print. The two work together well because of the difference in scale and while the fabrics share the same colors, the lampshade fabric has a dark background while the headboard has a light background.


The profile of the headboard has just enough depth to have substance, with the shadows highlighting the nail head trim.


The lamps cast a interesting pattern of light which break up the expanse of the fabric.


The height of the frame tucks up neatly to the ceiling.


And how lucky am I the original wall treatment, hand painted to resemble a textured fabric, works with the new design. It took hours to paint this wall and I would have painted over it if necessary, but I'm happy to see it stay!


One aspect I love is how the print runs around the edge of the frame in an even line, with the print ending at the same point on both the left and right sides of the headboard. It was a bit of work to get the placement right, but it was definitely worth the effort.


The scale of the tall lamps with their larger shades look right sitting next to the full height headboard.


The hardest aspect of the project was using a fabric with such pronounced lines. Using a solid or a print with a more random pattern would have certainly made the job much easier, just an FYI if you decide to try a similar project!! However, after the fact I always forget the challenges and enjoy the result...this will certainly be the case here!

No comments:

Post a Comment