Sunday, March 28, 2010

Hangin' with fabric for So You Think



I don't sew.

Or should I say, I haven't sewn since my sewing machine took an upside down tumble six months ago and continues to sit in that very position under a pile of junk in the basement.


I liked it upside down just fine until the fabric topic for So You Think came up. After mild panic set in, I realized, I just 'gotta be me'. Funk my project up so you don't need a sewing machine, right?

This idea isn't brand new to the net. You've seen my white version HERE. After all this time, I'm still loving this creation, although the idea was due for a tweak fest to better suit the area I needed it in.


How to design your hanger curtains

#1. Hardware

A woodsy antique hanger with weathered clothespins becomes today's chosen hardware. If you like a look that's a little less destressed, go new with both and you have a totally different look.


2. Fabric choices

Choices, choices! Any sheet or piece of  fabric will work, however...

*tip: heavy fabrics hang differently than poly/cotton blends, so experiement away. Thicker creates a more casual appearance, and thinner a little more refined.



... yes, I quite like the painter's drop cloth for this chosen application. Loads of neutral rustic texture, perfect for where this little darlin' is going.


3. Build it

Bring your fabric through the hanger opening, then straighten the fabric along the rod, sliding the fabric from one side to the other. bit by bit. This creates a nice even ruffle.


Isn't she pretty?!?


Add your hardware...


... hmm.. we need something more, but just a touch.



4. Decorate it

Twine and buttons? Sure!  Perfect for a little rustic earthy touch. Other ideas may be ribbon, beads, metal charms, the sky's the limit!



Oh! That's kinda cute! A metal star button no less! I think I'm going to stop here though because...



... I love how the twine dances it's way down the curtains for some added texture. So with the two combined, this ought to do it.


Looks sweet in this little corner. It's just enough bling to make you turn your head in further curiosity.



 No harm came to this painter's dropcloth in this project. The extra bulk of the fabric was simply rolled at floor level then worked into a puddle. This allows you to change your mind and use your dropcloth for another project should you desire.

You saw them here first. Hanger Curtains, The DropCloth Edition. Simple in design, however elaborate in bringing a little unique warmth to an otherwise very tall and skinny boring problematic window.

Only one more to go. :)

All my So You Think entries to date are HERE.

This project ranked 4/7.  Thank-you for your votes!

No comments:

Post a Comment