Monday, March 8, 2010

Shopping in unconventional places (and a winner!)



Isn't this the purdiest thing ever?!?


I squeak when I see something so simplistic and rustic!

By now, you've probably figured out I'm a tad unconventional. If you promise to still be my friend, I'm going to show you what floats my boat when I go shopping for my kinda 'stuff.' Promise? Friends forever? Deep breath..


Welcome to 'The Junkin' Mall'. :)

Yes friends, I find alot of great loot in this here little dumpster division. This place is located where I spend my other life striping firetrucks for a living.

First thing I do when I arrive at this place is grab a coffee, then I go 'out back and browse.' I check all the bins (cool metal stuff) and all the pallets that the firetruck components come in. Gold mine! :)


This bin has made me smile many a day. I even hollered at the boss one day and TOLD him to help me load some o' that junk up for me as it was too heavy. They may not get me but accept me for who I am.


See this cool beam? It came from that lovely wood bin. I had no idea at the time what I would do with it but a plan generally comes my way eventually. I call it 'stock'.


Maybe I shouldn't admit this next bit, but whenever I see this thing, I always wish I could bring the side of it home with me and hang it on a wall. (are you still there?) I LOVE the galvanized and rust appeal with the black lettering. I just do. And I can't help it.


As for these guys? They're always stacked by the hundreds. If they weren't so darn much work to dismantle, I'd bring loads of wood home and store them outside for some nice natural weathering. For stock of course.

Actually, I brought one smaller one home the other day. It was rather unique and just today I held it up and asked my son, "What do you think we should create with THIS?" And my little hero didn't even bat an eye and he was jibber jabbering about all the things we could do. (should I be worried?!?)

By far, the element of the hunt and finding 'nothing' and making it 'something' really ticks my clock.

How about you?

Can ya feel it??
Do you have a favorite unconventional place you shop at or find inspiration?


In other fantastic news, we have ourselves an SNS #20 winner for the draw!
Missy won Abalone in the Moonlight, a beautiful fractal art print by


Congrats Missy!

And thanks again Christine for your sponsorship! I'm always waiting for my blogroll to pop up a new creation of yours so I'll be watching. :)



My blogroll has been out for nearly a week now, so in case you missed week 2, the button will take you to the Catalog Hack assignment. A click worth your time. You should see what these gals created! Yowsa!

Follow FunkyJunkDonna on Twitter

Oh. And I listened. So join in! :)



No comments:

Post a Comment