Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Designing With Ikea

With measurements, a shopping list of items needed for Max's room and a serious budget restriction the only place to shop at was Ikea. I crossed my fingers that some good finds would be waiting for me and headed out.

First on the list, a small desk to fit between the two beds. After seeing Isabella's desk in her room Max really was hoping for one in his. So much for making do with a little table that had been brought in as a temporary solution when we moved into the house.

I was very happy when I came across this desk. Right price, right size, though not crazy about the color. But upon looking at the tag I saw it also came in black. Perfect. (Hopefully he won't notice the slightly girly turn of the leg!)


I'll have to find a small stool or ottoman to slide under the desk for seating. Perhaps something in a fun color. A chair would be too big for the spot, blocking access into and out of the beds. But I'll look for that another day.

Next, drapes. (The ones currently in the room are not wide enough for the window, having been purchased for his first room which had a smaller window.)

After considering a couple of different styles I decided on this panel with its gray and yellow stripes. I thought the gray would work nicely against the chalkboard stripe that runs around the room, so into the cart a couple packages went. (I'm hanging two panels on each side of the window for enough fullness.)


I then decided on more gray for the bedding, more stripes for pillows and an accent green found on a couple of throws.


Back home I only had time to lay out the pillows, but tomorrow I hope to hang the drapes and build the desk. There is a somewhat big instruction pamphlet that came in the box filled with more pieces than I expected.


Max was very excited when he saw the additions to the room, but wanted to know how long he would have to wait to have the desk built...hum. Well see.

No comments:

Post a Comment