Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Silence needed. I'm busy mourning my CHAIR


Today, a stranger is lurking...


Backing up, this is my kitchen office.
(just in case you haven't seen this photo for the millionth time this week)


Ok.. it looked like this only last weekend. It's just that sometimes life takes you on a different road.

This room has been through a lot to the point I'd be surprised if it wasn't traumatized due to all it's changes. The above scenario is something I was finally pretty happy with. I LOVE the eclectic look and it's functionality. And the chair on the right was my all time fav. Ever. I planned to retire with this very chair. It was the ultimate. Until.. 

* gulp * 


This happened.

* sob *

And as if that wasn't enough,


this one followed soon after.
(no jokes on gaining weight please... you'll make me eat more!)


Enter this beauty, in which I have two of them.

Their story.

I was frequenting a used furniture place and when I spotted these, I didn't care about the price. Those lines reeled me in.

As I was walking out the door giddy with my new purchase, a gal stopped me and inquired, "Do you KNOW what you HAVE?" She proceeded to tell me some history about these chairs. Their workmanship is from way back before they used screws.


You can see from this shot how the arm is joined and what the true patina is like. They are perfect!

Anyway, this gal told me they were from blah blah (can't remember where) and worth about $1500. EACH. I paid $50 each. I gasped and did some research. If what she says is true, what a scoop!


The seats are actually comfortable. See the shape in which they flow?

( Can you tell I'm trying to rebond with them? )

So, why don't I just use them for my kitchen office? Well, let's try it then.



I don't like it.

This deal is dead! T'was a good memory it was. My life is ruined because these chairs match. I even thought of painting the table top white and maybe painting the chairs white. But that patina on the chairs is soooo nice as is. And then I'd have to do something else to the armoire... AAAAHHHH!

All because of the demise of my fav chair. This canNOT be!

(denial is the first stage of mourning, yes??)

So, my initial thought then was coming back here and posting this quandary to all of you not so emotionally attached to this pathetic scenario so you could give me your opinion on what you would do. (that sentence was waaay too long!)


Then I thought abit more. Going back to this photo... see the table on my patio? I decided to try this old farmhouse variation instead of the round one.

I hated it.

But then, I got busy and was forced to use it.

Now I'm liking the functionality.


But everything ELSE is wrong!

Right now, my kitchen looks like a bomb hit it. My dead chair is even in this pic.
So, why don't I just tweak it to death and make it work?

Cuz my mouth also feels like a bomb hit it from a nice little tooth surgery today. And it's squawking alot louder at me than these silly broken chairs and two tables are.

The whole entire reason for this post?!? I don't remember!

Right. Yes I do. (Be quiet for a moment mouth! Let me get this out there!)
I was having issues with the round table. It was too small. So I was rather delighted when the broken chairs guided me to a potentially better way.

Remember my profound advice on how you must be willing try out the ugly in order to find function first? 


I'm so in the thick of ugly right now it's not funny. So, I am forced to take my own advice. But I don't have to LIKE it.

~ Part 2 - The Drama of the Broken Chair that changed my sorry Life ~
 coming soon

How about you?

Do you have a fav object (piece of junk) where you'd absolutely DIE if it died before you?
What would you do to this table/armoire/chair deal (colour wise) to make it work?


Please join me in my moment of sorrow. Think of my chair while you listen.

Thank-you.

*sniff*

No comments:

Post a Comment