Friday, February 19, 2010

The Progression Of Hanging Shelves


The shelves could not have been easier to hang, and guess what?


The mounting bracket was attached right over the duct tape. I thought, "why not?" It ends up getting completely covered by the shelves anyway.


As a bonus, the tape was a great place to mark the location of the studs and where the toggle anchors were to be used. (I went overboard using each screw provided, wanting these shelves attached with as much strength as possible.)


Tools to ensure a quick job: stud finder, screw driver, tape measure and level.


Afterwards the ceiling patch where a nail pop was repaired got painted. While the white patch was not really noticeable when in the room, I didn't want to keep seeing it in these photos!


Then I gathered magazines, books and a few collectibles belonging to my husband from around the house...


and began placing them on the shelves.


The arrangement started to look very top heavy, so I moved the books from the middle shelf down to the lower shelf...


and the magazines and collectibles on the lower shelf up to the middle shelf.


The large frames were overwhelming so I nixed that idea, brought in a smaller frame and stacked additional magazines and books on the top shelf. One of my husband's favorite pieces of art was then hung on the wall to the left, R.A. Miller's Red Devil, a figural cut out he purchased years ago in Athens, Georgia.


Later it occurred to me the shelves would be a nice location to place a few family photos. So I'll probably replace the framed images with some of my husband's favorite photos of friends and family.


But really, who knows. It is, after all, his office. He has not seen this wall yet...he will today when he returns from a trip. I'm very curious what additions he will add and what will go.

I'll show an update next week:

Version 1) Wife
vs.
Version 2) Husband

No comments:

Post a Comment