Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Just When You Thought The Art Wall Was Done...


This framed chalkboard was the inspiration behind creating a chalkboard on the entire wall where I planned to hang a collection of art. Initially the plan was to hang the small chalkboard alongside the other frames. But then it occurred to me that this was kind of odd...hang a framed chalkboard on a chalkboard wall? Hum. Wouldn't that kind of defeat the whole purpose?


Then I got the idea to hang it on the adjacent wall. The slight irony of placing a framed chalkboard next to a chalkboard wall appealed to me. A tiny bit of the surreal. I recently watched the Thomas Crown Affair again, have you seen it? The scene with the endless number of men in bowler hats, inspired by the Magritte painting The Son Of Man, has apparently got me thinking about surrealism.


The small anniversary date frame was painted a golden yellow to bring a small pop of color to the art wall, and it is one of my favorite elements here. But it does get slightly lost. So I decided to refinished the frame of the chalkboard to be hung in a similar color.




Not only does this help the framed chalkboard make sense hanging here, but it also ends up highlighting the small frame.


So now the art wall is done. I think.

No comments:

Post a Comment