Friday, February 12, 2010

Improving your blog - breaking through writer's block



Ever draw a blank when you know you need to update your blog? Coming up with new fresh blog post ideas can be daunting at times.

I think we've all been there. Know what stifles me the most? When a deadline of some sort looms ahead. Silences me right quick like because all my thoughts revert to the deadline, rather than the task at hand. Like, over thinking something. Hate that!

How to snap out of writer's block? Here are a few of my own strategies I use myself when needing to draw fresh inspiration from elsewhere.


Write when inspiration hits

Something that really helps me think of new topics is, when I'm inspired to write, I open notepad and type away. Even if I can't finish a potential new post, I have a good start. And sometimes one post can lead to three. If you're a writer type, love a keyboard and can type nearly as fast as you think, you'll love this technique. Writing it down by hand is work. Keyboarding it is fun. :)


Make Lists

One of my fav all time tips is, writing down topics with stars beside them. As soon as I think of something, it gets written down. I have a loooong list of these to revert to when in a pinch for a fresh topic.



Go for a walk.

I kid you not. Whenever I go on a morning walk with my dog along the dyke path beside the river, yes, I hear the crunch of gravel, but alot more transpires. No interruptions allow me to think of things I don't when at home. Best to take a notepad and pen with you. You'll need it. :)

And the above pic? That was during one of my walks that turned into a post called Neighborhood Walk Pics. Who knew going for a walk could be so interesting and inspiring? I was also pleasantly surprised when reading the comments, that someone was disabled where she couldn't go for walks, so this little jaunt meant alot to her. Wow. Powerful.


Answer questions

One of the very best techniques for creating a new post is answering someone's question. That's exactly how I created this post about newbie blogger tips, titled, "I wanna know how to ________. The response was tremendous. Think about it. Someone asked you a question so obviously that question hasn't been easily addressed out there. Be the first to do so. And flip this one to your advantage. Do YOU have a question? Put it out there, investigate it abit so you have a sound base to write on, and invite input.


Look through your pictures

Take a look at the picture above. This happens to be on an outdoor character building I created last summer. But I've already written about that. So what else could this photo be about?

photo techniques, tools, antiques, antique tools, how to find great stuff, rusty metal love, decorating outdoor areas, photography enhancement in Picasa

See where I'm coming from? Grab your theme of choice and build on it.


Google it.

Try googling a subject. It can be intriguing (and frightening) what comes up! Take a look at this hilarious post by Tales from the Coop Keeper. Jayme googled creepy vintage valentines and found loads of creepy vintage valentines. Google can be your friend or enemy so click accordingly. :)


Online smartypants help

Google 'ideas for blog posts.' Take a look yourself. This is what came up for me.

The very first post that shows reads,

You'll be there for days. :)


Write from the heart.

This one is downright scary. However, something that touches your own heart can help others going through something similar.

I've written a couple doozies in this realm and nearly didn't press POST. But that voice within spoke to me and told me to do it. Because deep down, I knew some fragment in my story would help someone else in a similar situation. I don't do it to become popular, or to have others fawn all over me or feel sorry for me. I do it to help. And in the process, it generally helps me too.

You don't want to overdo this one unless you want your blog to turn into a self help type, however, this method does several things. Creates a wonderful post with true life meaning, can help someone else, and shows that aside from all the shiny parts others tend to see about you first, there's real behind that virtual mask. People like real. Drama and real are two different things, so recognize the diff and give it a try.

If you have some time on your hands, these are two I created.

(a story about my lean Christmas and how I overcame it)

(what was meant to be a simple profile piece led to much more)


And my #1 tip:

Get offline and just do.

I don't plan alot of what I write about. I just get offline and live life. Carry your camera around. So much of what I post I've just created moments ago. Really. Just do it.

Hey.. know how I came up with this blog post idea? I didn't know what to write. :)

Do you like blog tips? There's alot more HERE.

~ How about you? ~

Do you struggle with writer's block?  What sure fire method do you use to create interesting and insightful new posts?

No comments:

Post a Comment