Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Let's go junkin'! Plus upcoming events




One fine sunny day, my friend facebooked me, asking if I'd like to come for a look see at her parent's place. They are friendly retired folks moving into smaller quarters soon, so their many years of collecting was coming to a close and it was time to clean house and home.

I didn't really know what to expect, but I rearranged my schedule (read: push work to the next day!) and head out. If trucks could talk, mine would have squawked that it wasn't even awake yet as I made flames down the roadway. It was a junkin' day after all!


Once I arrived (after getting lost a couple times, terribly directionally challenged I am) I didn't quite know where to start. And then I saw the rusty metal pile. Giddy, I knew I was home. :)


Old rusty headboards adorned a retaining wall. They came home with me. As did one of those mattress spring things you see. Can't wait to show you what I did with that one. :)


There was quite the birdhouse collection dotting the yard as well. I immediately fell in love with this one, as it paid homage to my growing up years. We had that big 'ol red barn in real life.


Aren't the shake shingles adorable?!?


There were so many things to look at. I didn't bring these home but sure wish I could have!


And then there was this little darlin' stuffed in a corner. Wait till I zoom up on the patina for you.



You can't possibly MAKE paint do this! Such beautiful natural aging. I've never seen crackle look quite like this. Now I see why we attempt to simulate it. Real deal here.


This is part of my pile that came home with me.




A cluster of yardsticks begging to be brought home, and something that resembled a cauldron. It's cool! That white speckled thing is an antique garden hoe. Never seen anything quite like it. Other antique tools came home as well to mount up on my character building.


Clean workshop?!? Eh... that was last week. :)


I just love the galvanized touches along with the other rusty components. Don't even ask me what I'm going to do with these. I have NO idea. All I knew is, I HAD to have them. My new rusty friends are most happy here. :)

I wish I could have stayed all day and just taken pictures. There were old clocks, cameras, dictionaries, newspapers, cutlery, jars, dishes, furniture, skeleton keys... anything and everything, and all from a time long ago. Why didn't I bring more stuff home? $. I'm sure you get it.

Hmmm... come to think of it, I really ought to call my brother and sis in law out for a peek. I use to go junkin' with them many years ago. Bet they'd love it. L & F, if you read this, this is for you!

I haven't even had time to play with my toys! Been a little busy with

Funky Junk's Workshop Series
 
Daily until Sunday 11pm pacific
 
Workshop Before and After Event - link up till Sun 11pm! Voting starts then!

 
Sunday PM
 
And I've been decorating and photo shooting for this event. Oh my gosh... it's nearly here. .... help.... freakin' out! Be there on Sunday nite to view and vote! Be HERE on Sunday nite too for lots in store to see and do! A new full blown post of my entry will be up and running Sunday evenings as long as I'm involved with SYTYCD.

Funky Junk's Saturday Nite Special
 
Friday PM, Sat, Sun
 
Oh, and I had to get ready for SNS. I have a reeeeally cool cool DIY feature for you this weekend! This DIY is what I am made out of. You'll see why. Don't panic when you see SNS leave the main page Sunday evening before the event is officially over. See above explanation.


Next Wednesday

Oh! And next Workshop Wednesday? I have a special guest that is going to teach you how to do something. :)
 
Huff puff huff puff! Can you keep up?!? I can if you can. :)  
 
So tell me. What would you do with those rusty headboards?
  

No comments:

Post a Comment