Thursday, February 18, 2010

Design Consultation for Danna~

A few weeks back Shabby Nest reader Danna sent me this email...




Hello! I am one of your blog readers! You are so talented and every time I see photos of your work I fall in LOVE! :) We are expecting our second baby! It's a girl!!! I'm due in about 6 weeks and I'm way behind on her room and wondering if you could help me. I need inspiration! I'm sort of stuck and having a hard time with the "vision". Our house is around 100 years old. It's a great home full of character. All original wood work and wood floors. I love all things old and eclectic. I would say my "style" is farm house/shabby chic.




I just love designing children's rooms and nurseries in particular, because I can let myself imagine!! And I was particularly excited to help Danna because she already has a great start.




Here is the bedding Danna has chosen for the nursery...Delilah by Cocalo Couture. It's absolutely fabulous!!










I just love the fact that it's not "traditional girly". No pink here folks. Don't get me wrong...I love pink for a baby girl's room...but I love a mom who isn't afraid of brown and blue in a baby girl's room!


Danna also has a gorgeous cherry crib and changing table, red accents and warm gold walls.



photo from Danna


photo from Danna


So let's get to it.


Danna needs help finding a lamp, a chandelier and a rug. She also wants a little bit of advice on what to do with some of her existing accessories.


I asked Danna if she wanted to go for the blue or downplay it...and Danna said to embrace it!! Awesome....


So here are two great ideas for rugs...



First, the Tempo Rug by Home Decorators ($199 for a 4x6)


This rug plays off of the damask/geometric feeling of the bedding with a bold oversized motif.








If Danna wants something a little more understated, the Grimsby Rug by Home Decorators($199 for a 4x6) does the same thing, in the same color story, but on a smaller scale.






Now since Danna has already chosen the bird mobile for above the bed, she'd like to play up that theme a little bit. So I ran with that. You all know how I love birds. ;-)




First up, the branch lamp base from Pottery Barn Kids. (Currently on sale for $39.99)





I would pair this base with a plane white barrel shade (easy to find at your local Tar-jay).



Next up, three chandelier choices...



I included this first choice because Danna mentioned that she liked a Shabby Chic aesthetic. This is a mini chandelier (29.99) so it is quite small, but the cream color would play nicely off the lamp base, and would contrast with the darker walls and bedding.








Second choice chrome and crystal (86.99). This choice is over-the-top bling. I love it. I think it would really create a girly statement of its own among the rest of the color choices going in the room.






Finally, to go along with the bird theme...this iron and crystal chandelier that reminds me of branches or twigs. (133.99). It would still add the bling, but in a more understated way, and the darker iron would blend with the brown in the bedding.








For a little bit of whimsy, I suggest these wonderful re-usable fabric wall decals from Mae. This set called Twitter for Girls (44.95) adds to the bird theme and would be perfect art above a crib or changing table.




Now for some of the accessories Danna already has that she asked about...


Danna wanted to get a birdcage to go along with the bird theme. I say definitely....and for a soft glow, fill it with twinkle lights...a perfect light to snuggle a tired baby in the middle of the night.



Danna found this oversize frame and painted it red, but isn't sure what to do with it...





photo by Danna


I would suggest running a single wire from side to side across the frame and then hanging the baby's christening gown (or a vintage gown of Danna's or Grandma's) on a pretty hanger from the wire.



Danna also had these two red shelves she wasn't sure if she should use.




I say, "use them!" I would hang both shelves near (not over) the changing table and use them for storage. On the longer shelf, find a pretty basket or other container to hold a few spare diapers or other changing needs.


For the "doorknob" shelf, borrow this fabulous idea from Martha and make an embroidery hoop hamper out of a pretty pillowcase to hang on the doorknob, and to catch all the inevitable baby laundry. (I had one of these for the Princess and adored it!!)






Well, Danna, I sure hope these ideas help!! Please send photos when your nursery is all done!


And now, my dear readers, an announcement...


Beginning next Friday, I'll be bringing back my Frugal Friday Linky Party! I'd love to turn this into a weekly event. What do you all think? Yes or no? Please weigh-in on your thoughts in the comments section!! THANKS!


Have a great weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment