Monday, January 18, 2010

Required: A Bit Of Patience

I've said this before, but let me repeat myself. Despite rooms being put together in a matter of days, if not hours on TV design shows, in real life putting together a room can be a slow process requiring more than a little patience!

Example One: The drapes I've been making for the Home Office Redesign. While they are not that hard to make, it does take time and patience. In fact, I thought I was going to post photos of the finished drapes today, but then I remembered I shouldn't skip this step: Training your drapes. It's a step used in making high end drapes and perhaps seems like a silly thing to do. But it works.


To do this, create the folds in the panels, starting at the top, working down a few feet and tie in place. Continue the folds down and tie again. Do this until you reach the bottom of the drapes. Leave the ties in place for a couple days to allow the folds to set. What this does is basically press the folds in place so that when pulled to the side or closed, the folds fall beautifully in place.


(I know...I'm slightly crazy. About details.)

Moving on, Example Two: Look what patience brought to my door this week.


The gorgeous Carlisle print from Calico Corners.


When I posted the final photos of the Living Room Design, I claimed it was 99.9% Complete. What was missing? The pillows which are going to be made from this fabric and placed on the Derby Sofa.


While ordered in late October, the fabric didn't arrive until this past week. This is simply the way it goes sometimes, and why design can't possibly happen in a single weekend. So have patience, your rooms will arrive at their completion date...eventually.

No comments:

Post a Comment