Thursday, January 28, 2010

A Change Of Plans

The Home Office Redesign is a project that is utilizing, for the most part, a collection of items already owned. However, I've encountered a problem and now need to rethink two major aspects of the design. (It's a small room, small changes are major!)

The Barcelona Chair and Ottoman looked great in the room, with the new paint.



Then the furniture was moved out of the room to hang the drapes. Up they went and these looked great in the room.


Once the furniture was returned to the corner, I stepped back expecting to be delighted. Surprise. Instead I felt disappointment.

Something was off. Hum. I walked away knowing it would come to me later.


Then it did. Initially, when the chair was adjacent to the lighter window trim in the room, the white worked. Once a good portion of the trim was covered by the darker drapery panels the white chair became a very stark element in the room. The effect is even more pronounced with the ottoman in place. Yes, I'm being particular, but this room is for my husband! (Would you make a change or just go with the original plan?)

At first I wasn't sure what to do, then I pulled out some fabrics from Van Gogh Designs, a furniture line I sell to some of my clients. The fabric below mixes wonderfully with the wall color, trim, carpet and drapes. A chair made up in this fabric would bring in just the right amount of contrast. Shoot...how am I going to make this work? From a budget point of view. I hadn't planned on purchasing a new chair.





To bring in a new piece of furniture I'll need to cut costs elsewhere. Where? (There aren't many places to look!)

On the accent wall. I've come up with a new plan for this part of the design that costs virtually nothing compared to my initial ideas. More on that tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment