Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Creating your Workshop Part 3 - Determining your Needs


Welcome to Part 3 of the Workshop Series brought to you by


 Funky Junk Interiors and Mustard Seed Creations!

 Today Miss Mustard Seed is leading Part 3 of her decorative painting seminar. She's going to show you how to create beautiful illustrations from a few easy strokes. Her real life examples are incredible! I even invented my own strokes that I shared over there. FUN! She knows how to teach, giving you pats on the back and confidence in giving it a go. See ya down there!

First, let's get started with Funky Junk's series,

Creating your own Workshop
Recap
Entire series to date  HERE
3. Determining your needs.
4. Search for inspiration and ideas
5. Develop your plan
6. Go shopping
7. Install


Purging wasn't fun. But I'll admit, once I started to see things happening, it became hard to quit when the dinner bell of, "Mom, I'm hungry!" went off. I even got rid of a sofa last weekend! I'm on a roll!
You did purge didn't you? WHAT?!? I may have a cure for that.


You heard right! I want to honor someone with the most outstanding before and after. So, jump on in!

And, no worries if you're a little behind, I'm not quite done either. Once you get started, you may realize it's going to take longer than you had hoped. One day at a time. Just keep at it, ok?
So, let's move ahead and figure out what we need in order to set up right.


Part 3:
Determining your Needs

It can be costly and time consuming to dismantle mistakes. Following the steps ahead will assure you've done everything in your power to create the workshop of your dreams the first time around.

1. Is your space adequate?

Is your area big enough to do what you need to do? Is it in a appropriate place to make the type of mess you make? Make sure your ideals will be met in the space you've chosen for your work area.

ie: When I first moved into my place,  I had a giant wine cellar in the middle of my garage. After that was torn out, I soon realized the garage was a dark cold tomb, so construction began. Among the improvements were, an exterior door with a window, a new insulated garage door with windows, as well as a baseboard heater as a safe option around fumes. Also adding in more electrical outlets and lights, I now have great bones to build on. Without those improvements, my experience working out there wouldn't be nearly as pleasant.

2. Work around large objects first

Work from largest to smallest. Depending on where you decide to set up shop, things like big tool cabinets, a table saw, a kitchen table or a freezer in the vicinity may dictate your options.

ie: My personal workshop is in my garage. And since I desired to have the option to park my truck in the garage,  I designed around that fact. I first parked my truck inside, then marked off how much room it required, including getting in and out. I chose to install my cabinets at the far end of the garage, leaving nothing permanent along the sides, where the room for the truck was required.


3. What do you want to do in this space?

Defining all the things you wish to utilize the space for will help guide you to ensuring the tasks are possible in that given space.

List all the tasks you wish to do in this space. Walking through it at the same time helps.

vehicle storage
woodworking
painting
crafting
spray painting
etc.
4. What does each task require?

Different tasks require different needs, so really elaborate beside each, the requirements to make it work. If in doubt, consult professional advice. You want to avoid costly mistakes and be safe.

List the requirements needing to be met for each of your chosen tasks. Consider:

lighting
ventilation
storage
electrical outlets (the right wattage as well)
heat
space
surface protection (from over spray)

ie: When I set up my garage, my plan had been to airbrush one day, so I investigated safe heat sources. After consulting professional advice, it was decided that a baseboard heater was the safest option.


5. How do you want to use the space?
Your answers will greatly effect the kinds of items you require and their placement, so you'll really want to think this through.

Do you want everything in a permanent place?
Does it  need to be mobile?
Does it have to be collapsible?
Can it stay messy or must it be cleaned right up after each use?

ie: I have a single car garage. I desired to be set up somewhat permanent so I could quickly cut wood at a moment's notice. My preference takes up more room, however at the same time, it's more efficient when you're on the run which was more important to me.


I also desire to be able to dismantle quickly if I desire to park in the garage. A solution to that was the collapsible table above. Anything built to last or too heavy to push will limit your options, so make sure you know all your wants before building anything permanent.

That wasn't so hard was it? It's just important to ensure the spot you've chosen will work long term for you. So do your homework, now. :)

Next week:
Part 4. Inspiration and ideas
 
Next week will be fun! I'll share price efficient surfaces, tables and creative storage solutions I'll be using myself and why. You'll be surprised that you have most if not all of these items at home already, so don't go shopping just yet. :) I'll also give you some tips on where I grasp good inspiration from.

Me - "So Miss Mustard Seed, did you manage to get your own workshop organized over the past week? Do tell. :)"

MMS - "Ok, Donna, this post is like gold. It's been tough for me to know how to approach my work area, since it's shared with my woodworking husband. Until I started my business, it was his space. Now, it's a vital space for me as well. This has helped me recognized that my "large fixed items" are his tools and work areas and I need to focus on the spaces that are "mine" and making them as effecient as possible. Now I need to make it a priority!"

Recap and Homework:
Print out the list below, measure up, and do the math.

1. Ensure your space is adequate
2. Work around large objects first
3. Determine the tasks to be done in this space
4. Determine what's necessary to make these tasks possible
5. Decide the permanency of your work area

Your turn!
I'd love your feedback.

Do you have an area picked out that will serve the purpose for your workspace? What are your plans for it? Also, are we moving too slowly? Need a week off from this topic and hit on something else? Lemme know whatcha think!

If you'd like to create a post with your progress, please link it up this week  below so we can follow along! We're your groupies after all. Don't forget to include a workshop button in your post so others also know what you're up to.

I've also linked the workshop button on the sidebar to travel direct to the series, so it'll be extra easy to  revisit the new links added.  We want to cheer on others while doing this, yes?

After your comments, head on over to Mustard Seed Creations with me and lets get fancy. :)


Funky Junk's Workshop Series
 



 
Grab it and link up. We want to see. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment