Friday, January 15, 2010

Drapery Panels - A Sneak Preview

The drapes are hanging on the windows in the Home Office Redesign. You have no idea how happy I am to have a simple post today, after yesterday's book!

Hanging drapery panels with hooks & rings or clips is simple, resulting in drapes that hang with beautiful folds. Decide how many rings you will use to hang each panel. The wider the width between the hardware the deeper the folds. Also, when the panels are heavy it is smart to use a larger number of rings to support their weight. This hardware usually comes in packets of seven, but I prefer to hang a 50 inch panel with 10 rings, which results in a more tailored look.


To hang the panels with 10 rings, mark 1/2 inch in from each side. Then divide the measurement from pin to pin by 9 and mark the intervals on the top of the drapery panel.

If using drapery hooks place the hooks into the fabric at these intervals and then hang each hook on the rings that have been placed on the drapery rod. If you are using clips, clip one on at each point designated by a pin.


The drapes are now hung! Simply create folds by pulling out the fabric between each ring. Here's a little preview...Monday I'll show you all four panels hung and hemmed.

And yes, I do hang my panels prior to hemming. Why? I've found if I want drapes to hang evenly just above the floor, the only way to really achieve this is to hem them in place. Floors are rarely even, and despite best efforts the panels don't get cut perfectly square and sewn completely even.


While hemming the drapes I do believe this Vintage Link Bracelet would look lovely on my wrist! Make certain to enter my Stella & Dot Giveaway here, for a chance to have a little bauble sent to your house soon...

No comments:

Post a Comment