Friday, January 29, 2010

Home Office Redesign - The Feature Wall


A collection of photographs and artwork will be hung above this cabinet in the Home Office Redesign. I've wanted the wall behind the artwork to have an interesting treatment, and have considered many options.

The various ideas have been to paint it a strong color, upholster it with the Turkestan drapery fabric, or hang a wallpaper with a lot of texture in bronzes and gold. I had decided the wallpaper would be an excellent choice, but then the chair issue arose. Now there needed to be a solution that I am not only am excited about, but one that is CHEAP!


Look what I've decided on, a fourth idea. This chalkboard, which had been leaning against a wall in the laundry room since moving in, gave me an idea. First, I thought this chalkboard would look great hung among the the art and photos on the feature wall. But once I put it in the room next to the other pieces, waiting to be hung, it hit me. Why couldn't the entire wall be painted with chalkboard paint?


My husband is on board with the idea (I did ask, it is his room afterall!) and I finally found the supplies I need at Benjamin Moore, after several stops at other paint stores. Next time I'm calling around first!

The wall will be quite a dark element, in an already dark room. However, much of it will be covered with art and the room has a moody edge to it, so why not just run with it. Once I paint the wall, the art will be hung and I'm looking for a few empty frames to hang as well, with the chalkboard wall showing through. We'll see how that works.

Before I start driving all over in my search for frames, do you have any great tips where I should be looking?

No comments:

Post a Comment