Thursday, January 28, 2010

Improving your blog - I wanna know how to ____________





Q -
"How do I apply a link to a word within my post?"

A -
- type your sentence
- click and drag over a word until it's highlighted
- while highlighted, click on the word LINK above your typing window
- a flyout menu will appear with a reply, To What URL should this link go?
- paste in your preferred url
- select ok

Now your word is linked.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

I just recieved this question in my email and the sender even suggested I write a post about it. I thought that was a magnificent idea and here's why.

I remember when I first started blogging and tiny questions like this one drove me into a FRENZY. I couldn't find the answers I was after, and any time I asked a blogger their opinion, 9 times out of 10 I didn't get a reply, leaving me to my own devices.



One of the first gals that replied to a simpleton question I had back in the day was Kimm at Reinvented. I was soooo over the moon grateful she took the time, that I vowed to be like her when I knew what I was remotely talking about.

So I started to learn. But not without a little more help.

Sneaky Momma Blog Design

Someone else that's really helped me and continues to do so is Sneaky Momma Blog Designs. This girl saves me every time I want to code a button.

And then there's BLOG BUSTER, where I messed with column widths and finally got the nerve to widen them already.

A year later, I definately now know enough to be dangerous. And I won't pretend I know acres and acres of stuff. However, being a self taught hack has taught me to trouble shoot in alot of different bloggy areas. If I want a question answered, I'll dig deep and find every archive known to blogworld until at the very least, I'll discover what I want to know doesn't even have a fix.

Two such things I've found don't exsist....

- in new editor, there IS no spell check, so stop looking for it every dang time you post
- in new editor, you can NOT link a url to a pic the easy way. You must go into html and fiddle with code

It took me WEEKS to find out those two very things.



And it made me feel kinda like this! (she's gonna get me for this)

So, this one's for the newbies. And not so newbies. And everyone in between. And I really hope some experts come on board and help out if they feel inclined, because I'm going to open up the comments to allow you to...

Ask any blog tech question you want.

What do you want to know?

Do YOU know any of the questions? Please help blogland out and add a url within your comment.

Have you noticed I applied numbers to the comments area? Now when you reply, you can  name a number beside their name so conversing is easier. ( One day I want to find the hack that allows me to comment to each one of you right UNDER you. Anyone have the url for that one??)

Hey. I wonder if Kimm knows the answer. :)

Edited to add: (keep checking here and in comments for answers)

click HERE for my version of:
How to install iespell (for spellcheck)
How to center widgets
How to add a signature
How to add a Link Within
How to improve your photos




No comments:

Post a Comment