Friday, January 8, 2010

Drapery Hardware...On A Budget

While I had planned to use the PB Standard hardware from Pottery Barn, and had decided on the Antique Bronze finish...all the needed parts (rods, finials, rings) added up to Expensive. So I decided to see what possibilities were being offered at Target.

(PB Standard Hardware in Antique Bronze)



There I spotted this option by Umbra. Loft, in a finish that I thought might be perfect.


I liked the simple finial, very similar to the Endcap style I had selected from the Pottery Barn hardware line. The metal also felt heavy and actually looked like metal, (unlike the plastic looking "metal" a lot of hardware in this price range seems to have). The mounting hardware appeared fairly substantial as well. Both of these characteristics seemed to answer my concerns about whether the design would be sturdy enough to carry the weight of the panels. But the factor that caused me to pick up two boxes and place them in my cart? The price. Less than a third of the original choice. I figured it was worth a try at this savings.

The hardware was easy to install. My only complaint is that the brackets just aren't that pretty. But the hardware blends into the wall, and really, I'll probably never give the brackets a whole lot of thought again, once I've written this. The rods look like they were meant to be hung alongside the lantern, but do look a little lonely without drapes hanging from them.


My goal is to at least cut the panels this weekend...sometimes the hardest step in a project is to just get started!

No comments:

Post a Comment