Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Drapery Panels - Moving On To Hems

Let me backtrack for a moment. I realized while writing today's post that I hadn't really given a description of the type of drapes being made. Also, here is a disclaimer: there are endless ways to construct drapery panels and this is simply a method I've learned to use that provides the look I like while requiring as few steps as possible. (Though as I walk through the process it may seem like there are endless steps!)

The drapes I am making for this project are single width, lined drapes that will be hung with rings. I am not a fan of the look of drapes hung by threading the rod through a pocket. I find hanging panels by rings is a great way to create folds without the hassle of making pleats, resulting in a clean and modern look. While I'm using a print, this same construction method can be used with a variety of other fabric types, and then trim options! There are endless ways to dress the panels up with runs of trim on the edges, decorative items applied across the surface..and on and on!

Each of these finished panels will be 51 inches wide, with the two panels creating a total of 102 inches per window. With the rods extending past the window edges, the window + hardware in the Home Office Redesign measures 52 inches. For most fabrics, having panels twice as wide as the area hung at is a good rule of thumb. When the drapes are pulled closed there will be plenty of fullness remaining, allowing folds to fall beautifully across the expanse. There is really nothing worse (in the drapery world, that is) than drapes that have no fullness when closed, with the fabric pulled flat to stretch across the width of a window.

Okay, on to creating the top and side hems on the four panels.


Four 56" x 3" pieces of fusible interfacing are cut. Select the weight of interfacing based on the weight of the fabric being used. I like to add interfacing at the top of my drapes because it helps provide the structure needed to support the drapery hooks the rings attach to and also helps "hold" the folds.




One strip is fused to each drapery panel's top edge.


Afterwards the hem is created by turning the fused edge over and giving it a good pressing. This little tailoring tool shown in the photo is a great guide for creating consistent hem widths.


I didn't bother cutting off the outer fabric selvage. Rather, I just turned under this 1/2 inch selvage and then turned under another 2 inches to create the side hems. These are pressed into place for about a foot down the sides of the panel. I'll explain when I get to the lining tomorrow why it isn't necessary to turn under and press the side hems for entire length of the panels at this point.


The next step is to stitch the corners into place. I have done this step on a sewing machine, but seriously, I've found a quick basic hand stitch to be adequate, faster and easier. To use a sewing machine the fabric has to be twisted and turned to sew from the inside of these corners...kind of a pain.


I start the stitch at about 1/2 inch up the 3 inch hem, stitch up to the top edge and then over to the outer edge.


If you select a thread that blends into the fabric you don't have to be that neat. Besides, these stitches will never show once the drapes are hung.


The above steps were repeated for all four panels, taking a little over an hour. Not too bad. Now the panels are ready to be lined.


Here's the stack, awaiting lining. Don't worry, I'm going to show you how lining drapes can be quite simple. Really.

No comments:

Post a Comment