Thursday, May 19, 2011

Simple Outdoor Mood Lighting~

It's been rather dreary here for the past few days.  Rainy and cold.  But I have big plans for outdoor entertaining this year...if the weather should ever warm up. ;-)

I thought it would be fun to share with you one of my go-to, outdoor, summer centerpieces.  It's extremely simple to make, but it adds tons of ambience to any gathering.  Canning Jar Lanterns.




To make these pretty lanterns, simply gather up some vintage canning jars.  I like a variety of sizes...it just adds to the impact.  Then get some candles...I use larger pillar candles for the big canning jars and votives for the smaller jars.  You can use any color candle you want, but I prefer to use white.  Clean.  Pretty.





Fill the bottom of your jars about 1/4 - 1/3 full of rice...or sand...or coarse salt.  It's really up to you.  I used rice in these because I had it on hand.  Sand is especially pretty, and coarse salt is lovely because it reflects the light.  But really any of these pale colored fillers will do. 





Then just pop the candles in and light.  Group your canning jars for more dramatic impact.  So simple and pretty.  (Please make sure you don't leave candles unattended or let them burn all the way down to the filler...as that could be a fire hazard.)



Happy Entertaining!

Oh...and  last but certainly not least,  I hope you love my new blog design as much as I do!  Thanks to Ellie G at Announced Greetings for her spectacular redesign!!  Love.  Love.  Love.

No comments:

Post a Comment