Monday, May 9, 2011

Being original takes GUTS... and gets you on Apartment Therapy


 If you're visiting Funky Junk for the first time today from Apartment Therapy, welcome!

 

Today my feature went live! And they did an amazing writeup and spread. Thanks Sarah!

Now know, when I got called to guest over yonder, my first thought was, "Gahhh.... they're so honest over there!"

And then I smiled. Isn't that what we want when we design? We want honest to goodness feedback at times so we can better ourselves.

Well, I do anyway.

Blogland has become my soft place to land. You're most gracious with your comments and kudos, which inspires me to keep going to no end. But at times, don't you ever wonder if your stuff really IS good?



Well, you can see for yourself what the big ol' world is saying about my stuff right now. Some of it's complimentary, and some of it's pretty frank and honest. But I've honestly been looking forward to the feedback. I mean, I've really been curious.

 Most of you that have followed me for some time know my story and why I design why I do. I don't have an extra 10 cents to go out and buy new stuff. I'm busy paying off loans like most of the world, so rather than get the latest greatest retail trinket, I pick up junk and create out of it. It's free, and pushes me to the hilt to be creative.

But there's more to why I do what I do.

It's original.

Why does that matter so much? Wouldn't it be simpler if I hawked every PB catalogue I could and just copied their stuff so I knew without a doubt everyone would love my home? Why yes it would. And chances are, most would adore my stuff that way too. Possibly even more than what I pump out today.

But you see,  the moral of my story in creating unique things is to invent new ways of doing things. Because if I invent, I grow.

My point to why I do what I do is to help inspire you to think differently. To not fear what others may say about your stuff. To go out on a limb and put that idea you've had in your head to work, rather than it stay a dream.

Being original takes guts.

Being original makes you a leader, rather than a follower.

Being original has earned you the kudos AND stinging comments you'll likely land. So wear them proudly. :)

 When you get to Apartment Therapy,  ensure you click the ENTER HOUSE TOUR text. That's where the mass of pictures are. It's in slide show format so it's really easy to whip through.

Look! There's my little stair model. :)

Thank-you Sarah for spotlighting my home and work! I'm thrilled to be on board! Honesty and all. :)

So why not go take a peek HERE and tell me whatcha REALLY think? :)

Do the possibility of 'honest critiques' hold your creativity back?

No comments:

Post a Comment