Sunday, May 29, 2011

Junkin' day with Granny and Grumpa



Boy do I have a post and a half to show you today.

My son and I deem Sundays as family day so we were  needing something to do. Then I remembered this place I had heard about from Karen at Ocean Soul. Apparently there was this amazing antiques place on a farm not more than 15 minutes from us.

Grabbing camera in hand, we set out on our new adventure.

Are you ready for a crazy picture heavy post with plenty of junky delights and horrors? Here we go!


The GPS brought us along some lovely country roads and then we were there. Welcome to Granny and Grumpa's Antiques! Located in between Chilliwack and Abbotsford, BC Canada. (see online source HERE)


Uh.... this was 1 of about 6 buildings just like it... WITH multiple rooms. I was a human fly catcher with my jaw wide open for the first hour while I got aquainted with my new surroundings.



The book on the many things you can do with fruit loops. 

Kidding.


It was a dictionary. 

Bet fruit loops was in the next edition because this was no doubt the abbreviated version...


Very organized and grouped incredibly well.


This crate collapsed flat like. Amazing.


I nearly came home with this 100 yr old rake. It was pretty cool.


Oh my word... isn't this pedestal sink amazing?


Crazy for scales.


Honestly, there was so much of one kind of item, it was completely overwhelming.


One entire wall was devoted to pedal cars and wagons alone.



LOVED the signs, but I'd bet I can make them....most of these weren't authentic but they were nicely done.


I LOVED this metal sign!


The back barns weren't quite as clean and orderly. See those sewing machines in the back? They lined up all the way to the end of this barn. The last one was out of focus it was so far away.




Long forgotten burlap bags and grain sacks. 100's of them.


100 yr old pomegranate juicer is what my son read on the tag. Aren't the graphics cool?



And then we browsed through the children's section checking out the latest in ancient cradles.


A whole mess of these!


I think I shed a few tears when witnessing this wall at first glance. I don't remember. I was too busy catching flies.


 LOVE cheese boxes and the like.

WARNING. The below scene is incredibly frightening. (to some)


{{{{SHIVER}}}}

These particular dolls scare me. You know the ones with the old vintage hard heads and blinking eyes. It's just that they look so 'real'.


Three full rooms of beady little eyes.


Lefty - "I can see EVERYTHING YOU ARE DOING."

Righty - "Pssst! There goes her son in the other direction..."

A little creepy.

Surely you know I'm jesting (abit) here. The doll collection was quite amazing and had many vintage specialties.  I could point out a few cuties that I grew up with as well. :)

Next stop?


RUSTY TOOL HEAVEN! *sob*


Bin littered with folding rulers. YUM!!!



I decided to pass on a picture frame because their stock just didn't measure up...



Son at far left bored out of his tree by now and I had only gone through 1/2 the buildings. No worries. He found an outdoor musical merry go round he triggered to sing and dance while I shopped.


Kitten! I love visiting with resident cats in the most unique places.


Check out that cart! If it had been smaller it would have come home with me. It was amazing.

I'm honestly surprised these photos even turned out. This barn was BLACK. 


No idea what these were but they were metal and rusty so that makes them ok in my book.


A building devoted to reclaimed lumber.


"Price check on isle 8042, shelf A78959368, meat grinder section. It was right above TinkerToy #895."

Amazing collection!


See the spool of thread? They are real. That's how small this amazing sewing machine loaded with detail was.

'NOTHER WARNING. 

This next image may keep you awake for many moons to come.


Look closely at that sign. It reads "Old Hair Curler."


I visited a bed and breakfast in Snohomish, Washington many years ago and went out to dine one night. I went to visit the ladies restroom, turned to lock the door, and turned again only to face one of these hair curler things on display. But it also housed a warped matching reclining chair begging to be in a horror flick.

I can't quite remember but I think I may have left the tap running.


Beautiful detailing on that one trunk!

Honestly, I'd love to visit this place again for the sole purpose of taking artsy shots. So much potential here.


Oh how I wanted this! It was an authentic crate that housed these very contents. It was huge!


I wanted these too. ALL of them.

Owner, "You aren't gonna cut them up are you?!?"

Well...


Here's an idea for those of you that like those dress modeling body things...


And winner of the craziest contraption, this mustang bicycle lawnmower. 

I would have went for it if the banana seat was still intact... :)

My son bought home the car he was holding. And would you believe I came home with nothing?!? It was all so overwhelming in the very best of ways. But now I know where to go when I'm after something in particular and honestly, that's all I need for now.

Coolest couple and place ever! We WILL be back. 

Want more?

You can check out Karen's own photo shoot of the same place HERE


And more junk hunting posts of my own are HERE.

No comments:

Post a Comment