Monday, May 23, 2011

The $1950 Light Fixture I Attempted to Sell on Craigslist for $50


Even if nothing else about the trip to NYC proved to be beneficial (which wasn't the case), it would have paid off in this way: I now know the value of my light fixture. And I am just a little surprised!


An identical brass light fixture is currently available through Arteriors for $1950. I paid around $190, snatching up a floor sample a few years ago. A good move on my part for making the purchase! But then I took a misstep and covered it with a layer of black spray paint. Why on earth did I do such a thing? Because I just wasn't that into brass way back then...were you?


Afterwards it hung in the kitchen nook for awhile. But eventually I took it down, never completely happy with the look of it, having lost much of its luster with its new finish. The fixture lived in the garage for an extended time, and I even listed it for sale on Craigslist in its paint covered condition for $50. I didn't get any bites. Thank goodness, a second misstep averted. (Can you imagine how I would have felt spying this fixture in the showroom last week had I managed to sell it on Craigslist?!)


Later when looking for a fixture to hang in the dining room, I realized if only I could figure out how to remove the paint I'd have a wonderful contender. These posts show that journey of discovery. Through trial and error I eventually found success with Smart Stripe...and oh am I glad I did!



{mid paint removal}

Yes. Identical. Wow. Happy Me. 

The fixture is all clean of paint and has just returned from the lamp shop, getting a longer wire to allow it to hang from the high ceiling above the dining room table.

So now I'm curious, do you have a story of a great find, of regretting altering a piece, or of an averted misstep? Please do share!

(p.s. This experience has furthered my resolve to be mindful of what I paint in the future!)

No comments:

Post a Comment