Thursday, May 26, 2011

Better care for cat #2 (plus hat winner and feature!)


Most of you know by now about the loss of my 18 year old cat Beethoven that meant the world to me. You can catch up with the links below.




We are doing ok. Actually, better than I thought I would. I tend to do my mourning pretty hard and quick. I'm glad the same thing appears to be happening in this case as well.

Once I got my head together, I booked an appointment to take kitty #2 in for a checkup.

Teddy is 13 years old and there were subtle changes in her as well.


Symptoms

She was more vocal than before. 

As in, she meowed at EVERYTHING. Even a 2nd glance. Figured she was just an old lady squawking a lot.

She was more active than before. 

Sort of like a kitten gone bat crazy kind of active. Figured she was just really fit and loved life.

She always acted like she was starving.

Her crunchy bowl is NEVER empty. But she started wanting more than that. I tested her with ham and chicken and moist food and she went ballistic. Figured she just hated her dry food.

She was losing weight.

I started noticing that I felt her bones on her back when I pet her. She use to be pretty round. Figured it was an old age thing.

Honestly? I just figured she was starting to lose her marbles being 70ish years old or whatever.


Wrong. AGAIN.

She tested VERY positive (danger level positive) for a thyroid issue.

Good news! There will be no repeat performance. She will be on meds the rest of her life, however she will gain her weight back and become 'just old' again. WHEW!!

Thyroid issues are treatable. And they just happen. No amount of shots would have prevented this one. It comes with old age and she got it. But it will not shorten her life if she continues her very affordable treatment.


Changes we are making


 Quality mush supplement

I stocked up on a quality supplement to her already quality dry food. She'll be getting a 1/3 of one tin a day. It offers a little something the dry doesn't which she needs at her age. This one is geared for 'mature'. 

I avoided moist food for many years because of potential deteriorating teeth issues. It appears to have been a smart move because her teeth (and Beethoven's) were in like new condition which is nearly unseen in cats this age. But there comes a time when a little extra may be required. Ask your vet.

And please avoid supermarket cat food long term. It's like eating at McDonald's. Get the good stuff.

Meds


 My kitten will be on a pill a day until the day she joins her brother.

Ever try and give a cat a pill? Here's a quick and easy way.

These soft little cups are called Pill Pockets.


They are chicken based treats that make the process of pill taking effortless. You pinch the end once the pill is in and they inhale them.

Pills can also be mixed in with moist food which I will be doing after these are gone. But I just wanted to treat her special this time. :)

She also had a bladder infection which will be treated with antibiotics. (who knew?!?) Commonly is caused by an abscess tooth although she didn't appear to have one.

Vet chat

Ray ran his hands all over Teddy in all the right places and pretty much nailed what she had by touch alone. He was right, but testing was still necessary to rule out kidney disease. If the kidneys were shot as well, she wouldn't have been able to be treated. Scary!

 I told Dr. Ray that I had a blog and if he could deliver one main message on it, what would it be? This is what he said today:


"Weigh your cat every 6 months. A baby scale works great. Just be proactive with ANY weight changes.


And get them in for a checkup once they reach the age of 8ish. It's time to check for symptoms as this is the time that they start to show up."

In a nutshell, I was wrong with TWO cats.

Please don't make the same mistake. Get your critters checked out.

Better yet, get Ray to check'em out if you're located in the lower mainland, BC Canada. This is the most caring group ever. You will LOVE them and him! We were in great hands and I thank him so very much for the TLC we received every difficult step of the way.

Other fun stuff:

 Elsie is the winner of the hat and scarf giveaway! Congrats, friend! I'll have Peach email you for your choice and shipping info! Boy are you going to love this one. :)

Thanks Peach, for such a generous giveaway! :)

Did you miss the review?
Click the above pic for the review post/video.



 My son's bedroom and playroom got featured over at OhDeeDoh!


Just wait till they see what's next. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment